Heard on the Street: Mayo Clinic named to "Hispanics" list
Mayo Clinichas earned a spot on the 2014 "Best of the Best" Top Hospitals for Hispanicslist for the second year in a row.
Each year, Hispanic Network Magazineevaluates the nation's employers, diversity programs and executive leadership, law enforcement and government agencies, as well as colleges, universities and MBA programs for their initiatives and programs with Hispanic communities in the U.S. The magazine also identifies the "Best of the Best" in proactive outreach and accessibility for Hispanic communities and other minority populations.
"To be named a Top Hospital for Hispanics acknowledges not only the excellent care we provide to all patients who come through our doors, but also the priority Mayo Clinic has placed on our outreach to diverse communities in order to include them in medical research. The knowledge we gain helps improve the health of the Hispanic/Latino community," said Dr. Sharonne N. Hayes, director of Mayo's Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
Mayo Clinic initiatives include:
• Healthy Connections Project:Mayo Clinic Abroad, Mayo's international humanitarian program, has been working with Pro Mujer, a women's development, health and microfinance organization, to enhance health care services to women in Latin America.
• Hispanic Latino Employee Resource Groups:Employees recently formed two new Hispanic/Latino resource groups — one at Mayo Clinic in Florida and one at Mayo Clinic in Rochester — to provide cultural insight and solutions that will benefit patients and employees.
• Historias Mayo:Historias Mayo celebrates Mayo's diverse patients and staff with this video storytelling series. Each video follows an inspiring journey to find answers and hope at Mayo Clinic. Historias Mayo complements Mayo's growing influence in Hispanic social media.
• Latino Biobank in Arizona:Mayo Clinic Center for Individualized Medicine is helping to stimulate biomedical research in the Latino population through the opening of the Sangre por Salud Biobank in Arizona in May 2013.
• PETERMAN HONORED:Paul L Peterman, of the Rochester branch office of Morgan Stanley, has been recognized for his outstanding achievements as a financial adviser within the firm's wealth management group. Mr. Peterman was designated a senior investment management consultant by Consulting Group, the managed money unit of Morgan Stanley.
Peterman joined Morgan Stanley in 2004 as a financial adviser, and is an 18-year veteran of the financial services industry. He also holds the certified retirement planning consultant designation. — Mike Klein