Learn more about DMC in today's special report
Today's Post Bulletin features a 20-page special report , "DMC: Transforming Rochester," that outlines the progress of the Destination Medical Center initiative over the past year and what to expect in 2017. It is part one of a two-part section on Destination Medical Center. Part 2, " DMC: Transforming the Region ," will be published April 3.
Here are six highlights of today's section:
1. Is Rochester really ready to become the "Silicon Valley of Medicine"? DMC figures to set the stage for the Med City to become a happening place for tech startups and entrepreneurs, but some veterans contend that the city has typically been very risk-averse. Minnesota Public Radio's Catharine Richert has the details.
2. Mayo Clinic's care mode is known across the globe. The challenge for DMC is to ensure the $6.5 billion project transforms the city in a complementary way, particularly downtown. The Heart of the City project takes aim at those issues, writes John Weiss.
3. Post Bulletin reporter Matt Stolle tracks media coverage of DMC since its inception. As metro developers have shown increasing interest in the expensive, transformative project, media coverage has followed.
4. For better or for worse, the area around Saint Marys Hospital is preparing for major changes . The hospital itself recently announced a $217 million expansion, but the nearby $115 million Alatus development has faced intense scrutiny and criticism.
5. For a project that's expected to double Rochester's population by 2034 and significantly increase employment options downtown, transportation and parking becomes a priority. But will 16,000 new spaces be enough? Answer Man weighs in.
6. The old Chateau Theater has sat empty for more than a year, but it remains a prominent downtown venue. Is the $21.3 million renovation dream realistic? How about smart? The PB's Tom Weber checks in with key players in that debate.
You can find all of the articles from the special section on our DMC landing page .