ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Lens on History: The sixth time broke restaurant jinx

61f479013439ab963e4ae658c38a8832.jpg
On Oct. 25, 1951, George, Jim and Chuck Pappas opened the doors of Michael's Restaurant (named for their father) at 15 South Broadway. Five restaurants had failed in this location. The supper club was a huge success. Thanks to Alan Calavano for sharing this photo post card.

The Michael and Mary Pappas family began operating a lunch counter at the Brown Derby on First Avenue Southwest between Third and Fourth streets in the early 1940s.

In 1946, they opened the Old Covered Wagon east of the city on U.S. 14, just west of the Pla-Mor Ballroom. On Oct. 25, 1951, sons Paul, George, Jim and Chuck gambled and opened the doors of Michaels Restaurant (named for their father) at 15 South Broadway.

Five restaurants had failed in this location, and many predicted a similar fate for the sixth. Opening night, a martini could be had for 60 cents; prime filet mignon dinner; $3.60, lobster dinner, $2.50; topped with pie or a sundae for 25¢. The supper club was a huge success. The jinx was broken. Later generations expanded the business to today, and the Pappas family has not closed the doors since.

Next week: I'm the plane they called the City of Rochester

Lens on History is a weekly photo feature by Cindy Scott, a volunteer at the History Center of Olmsted County. Thanks to Alan Calavano for sharing this photo postcard.

ADVERTISEMENT

The plane they called the City of Rochester.

Michaels 2013_2.jpg
On Oct. 25, 1951, Paul, George, Jim and Chuck Pappas gambled and opened the doors of Michael's Restaurant (named for their father) at 15 South Broadway. Five restaurants had failed in this location. The supper club was a huge success.

Related Topics: FOOD
What To Read Next
Learning to make sushi can be a challenge, but Hanh Tran provides a fun, sociable course on how to make sushi with great instruction with her Sushi Ninja cooking course.
The City of Rochester is applying for the Minnesota Investment Fund grant “to assist with the start-up of Nucleus RadioPharma," which is a Mayo Clinic firm.
Almost a decade after Mayo Clinic purchased it, the fate of the former Lourdes High School complex at 621 W. Center St./19 Sixth Ave. NW remains in limbo.
Area leaders paint a cautiously optimistic picture of the Rochester economy for the upcoming year.