1946: Tornados rip through Mankato and Wells
11 people were killed, and 60 were treated for injuries.
1996 — 25 years ago
- Justin Robel, of Rochester, birded the second sudden-death hole to win the open division of the 36th MGA Junior Championship at Pebble Lake Golf Course in Fergus Falls.
- The top three bestselling fiction books include "Cause of Death" by Patricia Cornwall, "The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham, and "Servant of the Bones" by Anne Rice.
1971 — 50 years ago
- Fifteen 8-track stereo tapes and a slide rule were stolen from a car parked at Rocco’s Pizza in Goodview. A coat hanger was used to gain entrance to the locked vehicle.
- This past week, someone has been cutting the heads off parking meters and looting them of the money.
- Raynard Johnson, of Chatfield, took top honors in the annual Tri-County Hog Show held in the Lewiston Livestock Sale Barn.
1946 — 75 years ago
- Wells and Mankato suffered tremendous damage when tornadoes ripped through both communities. The Green Gables resort was destroyed, as all 26 cabins were ripped from their foundations. Eleven were killed, and 60 were treated for injuries. The Wells movie theater’s roof collapsed, with 400 people in the building. Thirty people were injured in the theater, and 200 people were treated for injuries in the Wells community.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Two members of the Minnesota State Board of Control arrived in Rochester today. They conducted an inspection of the state hospital.
- Local sheep raisers will have a chance to ship their wool on the upcoming Great Western freight. The wool will be sent to the national wool warehouse. Many local farmers have several thousand pounds of wool. They have been waiting for the price to rise.