1971: Rev. Mostrom inducted into St. Olaf Hall of Fame
Highlights from 1996, 1971, 1946 and 1921.
1996 — 25 years ago
- Weird Al Yankovic will appear in concert at Mayo Civic Center auditorium. Tickets are $22.50 at the door.
- The 87-year-old house that Bob Dylan, born Robert Zimmerman, lived in shortly after his birth in 1941 until he was 6, is for sale. The home in Duluth has been well-cared for and is for sale for $62,000.
1971 — 50 years ago
- Plans were made by Winona’s Jobs for Veterans Committee for an appreciation dinner for all Vietnam veterans in a four-county area.
- A graduate of Zumbrota High School will be one of the first 10 men inducted into the St. Olaf Athletic Hall of Fame. The Rev. Ruben Mostrom was a four-time letterman in basketball, played semi-professional basketball in the Twin Cities, has been a parish pastor since 1933, and a regent at the college in Northfield.
1946 — 75 years ago
- One thousand members of high school choruses and 150 band members from all parts of the state will present a concert at the Minneapolis Auditorium.
- Dr. Johan Arnd Aasgaard, Minneapolis, president of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, was a guest speaker Sunday at the 90th anniversary of the Greenfield Lutheran Church in Harmony.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Physical examinations of pupils at the Holmes and Central public schools showed that 85 percent suffer from decayed teeth. There is dental work enough for a dental dispensary at each grade school.
- A wiener roast was held at the country home of Ethel Highland. Members of the Daughters of Veterans and several G.A.R. members celebrated the 73rd birthday of Mr. Fort, a Civil War veteran.
- The Minnesota Gophers travel to Columbus to play the Ohio State Buckeyes. (The Gophers would lose 27-0 before a crowd of 22,000).
Highlights of news reported in 1998, 1973, 1948 and 1923.