1971: Winter storm hammers Minnesota
Student-athletes from area schools spent the night in the Albert Lea school.
1996 — 25 years ago
- Junger Tang, son of Hui-Cho and Ling-Ling Tang, has been selected as the Student of the Month by the West Side Kiwanis. Tang plans to study engineering toward a medical degree at Harvard, MIT or Stanford.
1971 — 50 years ago
- A winter storm impacted much of the state of Minnesota. In Albert Lea, where some 2,000 spectators watched a regional wrestling tournament, almost 400 student-athletes from area schools spent the night in the school.
- The Rochester John Marshall Rockets defeated Mahtomedi 5-4 in high school hockey and now advances to the Region One tournament's semifinals. Jerry Graham scored two goals in the win, including the game-winner with 10:54 left in the game. (RJM would also win the semifinal game 5-2 over Sibley.)
1946 — 75 years ago
- Continuation of the gardening movements, which received widespread support during the war years, is urged by state officials to continue as a means of improving the nutrition of rural and city families.
- Pullman car service between Rochester and Chicago will resume after the sleeping cars were out of service to provide more access to the cars by service members returning from the war.
1921 — 100 years ago
- A small electric oven has been invented and will be on display in an electrical show on the East Coast. The new unit can be used for roasting and baking. A unique feature is an outside top element for boiling small quantities of water.
- The Pine Island high school basketball team added two more victories to its totals this week by beating Zumbrota 40-3 and Mazeppa 24-0.
Highlights of news reported in 1998, 1973, 1948 and 1923.