Day in History: Junior college instructors to receive 23% raise
1993 – 25 years ago
• A medical helicopter from Roseau, Minn., on its way to Saint Marys Hospital, had to land near Pine Island because fog covered the hospital so well the pilot couldn’t find it.
• Julie Hennessy, who won four state girls high school golf championships while playing for Lewiston-Altura, will play in the 1993 Minnesota LPGA Classic at Edinburgh USA Golf Course.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Faculty members of Rochester State Junior College and other schools in the state JC system can expect pay increases averaging 23 percent during the 1969-1971 biennium.
• The city has been asked for $200,000 to remodel the Rochester Municipal Airport terminal to accommodate second-level passenger loading. The total cost of the project, which envisions a second level deck on the northwest corner of the terminal, is some $400,000.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Miss Madonna Burk, a graduate of Saint Marys School of Nursing, married Donald Kelley at a ceremony at the Catholic church in St. Charles.
• Approximately 75 men of the Rochester Country Club attended a stag supper to finalize plans for the Calcutta golf tournament. Eighteen teams are entered in the tournament.
• Sponsored by the Big Sisters of the Seton Guild, a picnic supper for Catholic girls 15 to 21 years of age will be given this evening at the Seton Guild clubhouse.
1918 – 100 years ago
• A large crowd attended the showing of "The Geezer of Berlin" at the Lawler theatre. It is a "take off" of the Kaiser and his motley crew.
• Men are needed immediately for a big construction project. Interested men must apply to Omaha Structural Steel Bridge Co. at Mazeppa. Pay will be 37 ½ cents to 40 cents per hour.
From news services
Ten years ago: Pervez Musharraf resigned as the president of Pakistan. Tropical Storm Fay pounded Cuba with torrential rain and wind before sweeping across the Florida Keys.
Five years ago: David Miranda, partner of Guardian reporter Glenn Greenwald, who’d received leaks from former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, was detained for nearly nine hours at London’s Heathrow airport, triggering claims authorities were trying to interfere with reporting on the issue. Usain Bolt won his third gold medal of the world championships held in Moscow, anchoring Jamaica to victory in the 4 x 100-meter relay.
One year ago: Steve Bannon, President Donald Trump’s top White House strategist, was forced out of his post by Trump; Bannon returned immediately as executive chairman to Breitbart News, which he led before joining Trump’s campaign. Billionaire investor Carl Icahn resigned from his unpaid post as Trump’s adviser on deregulation efforts, as The New Yorker was preparing to publish an article detailing his potential conflicts of interest. A Los Angeles judge rejected an effort by Roman Polanski’s victim to end a four-decade-old sexual assault case against the fugitive director. (Polanski pleaded guilty to having unlawful sex with the girl when she was 13; he fled the country on the eve of sentencing in 1978.)
Today’s birthdays: Former first lady Rosalynn Carter is 91. Movie director Roman Polanski is 85. Olympic gold medal decathlete Rafer Johnson is 83. Actor-director Robert Redford is 82. Actor Henry G. Sanders is 76. Actor-comedian Martin Mull is 75. Rhythm-and-blues singer Sarah Dash (LaBelle) is 73. Rock musician Dennis Elliott is 68. Country singer Jamie O’Hara is 68. Comedian Elayne Boosler is 66. Country singer Steve Wilkinson (The Wilkinsons) is 63. Actor Denis Leary is 61. Actress Madeleine Stowe is 60. Former Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is 57. ABC News reporter Bob Woodruff is 57. The former president of Mexico, Felipe Calderon, is 56. Bluegrass musician Jimmy Mattingly is 56. Actor Adam Storke is 56. Actor Craig Bierko is 54. Rock singer-musician Zac Maloy (The Nixons) is 50. Rock singer and hip-hop artist Everlast is 49. Rapper Masta Killa (Wu-Tang Clan) is 49. Actor Christian Slater is 49. Actor Edward Norton is 49. Actor Malcolm-Jamal Warner is 48. Actress Kaitlin Olson is 43. Actor-writer-director Hadjii is 42. Rock musician Dirk Lance is 42. Actor-comedian Andy Samberg (TV: "Saturday Night Live") is 40. Country musician Brad Tursi (Old Dominion) is 39. Actress Mika Boorem is 31. Actress Maia Mitchell is 25. Actress Parker McKenna Posey is 23.