Day in History: Legendary Carmen Amaya to appear in Rochester
1993 – 25 years ago
• The Goodhue County Sheriff's Department is warning homeowners to be on the alert for burglars posing as workers for rural electric cooperatives. Burglars get permission to come into homes and then steal items.
• Rochester and Olmsted County will have a new emergency warning siren system in place before this year's tornado season. $292,768 has been approved to replace many of the current sirens that have been in service since the 1950s.
1968 – 50 years ago
• The Mayo High School Spartan Spirit girls drill team made its first appearance on ice between periods of the Mayo-JM hockey game in Mayo Civic Auditorium Arena. (Mayo would in the game 4-3)
• Rochester State Junior College forward Mike Savoy ranks fourth in the nation in scoring according to National Junior College Athletic Assn. The sophomore is averaging 33.2 points per game.
1943 – 75 years ago
• The hours of all gasoline stations in the area has been changed to being open only 72 hours per week due to rationing.
• A Victory service at the United Brethren church will be held this Sunday. The day will be built on a motto of "Victorious Optimism."
• Carmen Amaya, regarded as one of the greatest flamenco dancers of all time will appear with her company of dancers and singers at the Mayo Civic Auditorium as part of the Rochester Concert series.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Dr. James Wallace of Macalester College, St. Paul, gave a stirring address at the Y.M.C.A. Dr. Wallace said if you are a patriot, there should be no burden to comply with the requests of the government during wartime in the matters of wheat less, meatless, and heatless days.
• William Hart, the greatest western character ever seen on the screen, will appear with Louise Glaum in "The Dance Hall Queen" at the Grand. Prices are 10 and 20 cents.
From news services
Ten years ago:More than 80 tornadoes began touching down in the midwestern and southern U.S.; the deadliest of the twisters claimed 57 lives. Sen. John McCain seized command of the race for the Republican presidential nomination, winning delegate-rich primaries from the East Coast to California on Super Tuesday; Sen. Barack Obama, trailing much of the night, nearly pulled even with Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton in the contest for Democratic delegates. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a guru to the Beatles who introduced the West to transcendental meditation, died at his home in the Dutch town of Vlodrop; he was believed to be about 90.
Five years ago:President Barack Obama asked Congress for a short-term deficit reduction package of spending cuts and tax revenue that would delay the effective date of steeper automatic cuts scheduled to kick in on March 1. (The president and congressional leaders failed to reach an agreement, and the $85 billion in federal spending cuts, known as sequester, went into effect.)
One year ago:Tom Brady led one of the greatest comebacks in sports history highlighted by an unbelievable Julian Edelman catch that helped lift New England from a 25-point hole against the Atlanta Falcons to the Patriots' fifth Super Bowl victory, 34-28, the first ever in overtime.
Today's birthdays:Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron is 84. Actor Stuart Damon is 81. Tony-winning playwright John Guare is 80. Financial writer Jane Bryant Quinn is 79. Actor David Selby is 77. Singer-songwriter Barrett Strong is 77. Football Hall of Famer Roger Staubach is 76. Movie director Michael Mann is 75. Rock singer Al Kooper is 74. Actress Charlotte Rampling is 72. Racing Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip is 71. Actress Barbara Hershey is 70. Actor Christopher Guest is 70. Actor Tom Wilkinson is 70. Actor-comedian Tim Meadows is 57. Actress Jennifer Jason Leigh is 56. Actress Laura Linney is 54. Rock musician Duff McKagan (Velvet Revolver) is 54. World Golf Hall of Famer Jose Maria Olazabal is 52. Actor-comedian Chris Parnell is 51. Rock singer Chris Barron (Spin Doctors) is 50. Singer Bobby Brown is 49. Actor Michael Sheen is 49. Actor David Chisum is 48. Country singer Sara Evans is 47. Country singer Tyler Farr is 34. Neo-soul musician Mark Shusterman (Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats) is 33. Actor-singer Darren Criss is 31. Actor Alex Brightman is 31. Rock musician Kyle Simmons (Bastille) is 30. Actor Jeremy Sumpter is 29. Drummer Graham Sierota (Echosmith) is 19.