Day in History: Rochester police to launch community radio watch program
1992 – 25 years ago
• A Rochester Community College player has been named to the National Junior College Athletic Association all-America women's volleyball team. Terri Fowler, a sophomore from Spring Valley, was also nominated to the academic all-America team.
• With Sally Skurdahl leading the way, Pine Island defeated Caledonia 113.55-106.85 in a high school gymnastics dual meet. Skurdahl finished on top in the all-around competition thanks to a first on the beam.
1967 – 50 years ago
• The Rochester Police Department is launching a citywide recruiting campaign to enlist the aid of all two-way radios in a program called 'Community Radio Watch.' The police would like users such as cab drivers and truck drivers to report to their dispatchers suspicious or unusual incidents. This information would in turn to reported to police for immediate investigation.
• A local division of the United States Power Squadron is being formed in Lake City to initiate a program of "Safe Boating Through Education." A 13-week course has been organized which will include instruction on safe boat handling, seamanship, rules of the water and charting.
1942 – 75 years ago
• Federal foresters consider that the civilian conservation corps has moved ahead by 50 years the tree planting program in the Midwest. The corps has done this work in state forests in many states including Michigan, Minnesota and Iowa.
• Robert Tharp of Kasson is reported safe after the giant former French liner Normandie – the second largest ship in the world — caught fire and capsized in a New York harbor. Tharp is a coast guardsman who was assigned to guard duty on the ship.
1917 – 100 years ago
• The ladies of the local Magazine club have a vision for a serious tone with possible war on the horizon. The group will discuss plans for raising funds that can be used in a variety of ways and to boost patriotic enthusiasm. The meeting was held at the home of Mrs. Charles H. Mayo.
From news services
Ten years ago:Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, marking the 28th anniversary of the Islamic Revolution, vowed his country would not give up uranium enrichment. The Dixie Chicks won five Grammys, including Album of the Year for "Taking the Long Way" and Record and Song of the Year for "Not Ready to Make Nice," in a defiant comeback after being shunned over their anti-President George W. Bush comments about the Iraq war. Harvard University named historian Drew Gilpin Faust its first female president.
Five years ago:Whitney Houston, 48, who ruled as pop music's queen until her majestic voice was ravaged by drug use and her regal image was tarnished by erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, was found dead in a hotel room in Beverly Hills, California. Mitt Romney eked out a narrow win in Maine's Republican caucuses.
One year ago:Surrounded by FBI agents in armored vehicles, the last four occupiers of a national nature preserve in Oregon surrendered, ending a 41-day standoff that left one man dead. Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders battled for the crucial backing of black and Hispanic voters during a Democratic debate in Milwaukee. The White House announced that President Barack Obama would nominate Dr. John B. King Jr. to lead the Education Department.
Today's birthdays:Actor Conrad Janis is 89. Fashion designer Mary Quant is 83. Actor Burt Reynolds is 81. Actress Tina Louise is 79. Actor Sonny Landham is 76. Bandleader Sergio Mendes is 76. Actor Philip Anglim is 65. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is 64. Actress Catherine Hickland is 61. Rock musician David Uosikkinen (The Hooters) is 61. Actress Carey Lowell is 56. Singer Sheryl Crow is 55. Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is 53. Actress Jennifer Aniston is 48. Actor Damian Lewis is 46. Actress Marisa Petroro is 45. Singer D'Angelo is 43. Actor Brice Beckham is 41. Rock M-C/vocalist Mike Shinoda (Linkin Park) is 40. Singer-actress Brandy is 38. Country musician Jon Jones (The Eli Young Band) is 37. Actor Matthew Lawrence is 37. Rhythm-and-blues singer Kelly Rowland is 36. Actress Natalie Dormer is 35. Singer Aubrey O'Day is 33. Actress Q'orianka Kilcher is 27. Actor Taylor Lautner is 25.