Day in History: Stockton hit hard by flooding
1991 – 25 years ago
• Heavy rains in Winona County caused mudslides and flooded roads, leaving some washed out of their homes. Hardest hit by the flooding was Stockton, a town of 500 people just west of Winona. Property damage is estimated to be $1.2 million and crop loss at $280,000. Some areas reported more than 4 inches of rain from a thunderstorm.
1966 – 50 years ago
• About 100 members of the Rochester High School Class of 1946 are expected to attend the 20th reunion of the class at the Kahler Hotel. The welcoming address will be made by class president Dr. Philip Brown and master of ceremonies will be Richard Gislason. The reunion chairman is Gene Harnack.
• Thirty-six people spent the night on the concrete floor of the Civil Defense Shelter in the courthouse. The training of what shelter living would be like in the event of a real emergency was attended by a group that included nurses, six nuns and two men who volunteered for the project.
1941 – 75 years ago
• A warning that operation of punch boards, dice games and other devices must cease at once was issued by Rochester Mayor Paul A. Grassle. Directing his warning primarily at operators of 3.2 beer places and small grocery stores, the mayor said, in the event of convictions for operating such devices, license revocations will be sought. He said he intends "to see that the law is enforced fully."
• A blackout was held in Austin last night as protection against a simulated air raid. At the conclusion of the eight-minute blackout exercise, Mayor Jacob Becker urged citizens to buy defense bonds.
1916 – 100 years ago
• Dr. Brooker Granger, acting health officer, has announced that two cases of polio have developed in Rochester.
• A special train will run from Waseca to Rochester to accommodate Ringling Bros.' Circus crowds.
• At the Hotel Radisson in Minneapolis rooms with running water are $1.50 per night, rooms with a toilet are $2 and rooms with a bath are $3.
From news services
Ten years ago:Israeli tanks, bulldozers and armored personnel carriers knocked down a fence and barreled over the Lebanese border as forces seized the village of Maroun al-Ras from the Hezbollah guerrilla group.
Five years ago:Anders Breivik, a self-described "militant nationalist," massacred 69 people at a Norwegian island youth retreat after detonating a bomb in nearby Oslo that killed eight others in the nation's worst violence since World War II. A jury in Cleveland convicted Anthony Sowell of killing 11 poor, drug-addicted women whose remains were found in his home and backyard; Sowell later was sentenced to death (his case is being appealed). President Barack Obama formally signed off on ending the ban on gays serving openly in the military. Former Democratic National Chairman Charles T. Manatt, 75, died in Richmond, Va.
One year ago:A Soyuz space capsule blasted off for the International Space Station, docking with the orbiting outpost nearly six hours later. Prosecutors in Colorado urged the death penalty for Aurora movie theater shooter James Holmes, saying he deliberately and cruelly killed 12 people (Holmes ended up being sentenced to life in prison when the jury could not unanimously agree on execution). A federal grand jury indictment charged Dylann Roof, the young man accused of killing nine black church members in Charleston, S.C., with 33 counts including hate crimes that made him eligible for the death penalty.
Today's birthdays:Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, R-Kan., is 93. Actor-comedian Orson Bean is 88. Author Tom Robbins is 84. Actress Louise Fletcher is 82. Rhythm-and-blues singer Chuck Jackson is 79. Actor Terence Stamp is 78. Game show host Alex Trebek is 76. Singer George Clinton is 75. Actor-singer Bobby Sherman is 73. Former Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, is 73. Movie writer-director Paul Schrader is 70. Actor Danny Glover is 70. Singer Mireille Mathieu is 70. Actor-comedian-director Albert Brooks is 69. Rock singer Don Henley is 69. Movie composer Alan Menken is 67. Singer-actress Lonette McKee is 63. Jazz musician Al Di Meola is 62. Actor Willem Dafoe is 61. Rhythm-and-blues singer Keith Sweat is 55. Actress Joanna Going is 53. Actor Rob Estes is 53. Folk singer Emily Saliers (Indigo Girls) is 53. Actor John Leguizamo is 52. Actor-comedian David Spade is 52. Actor Patrick Labyorteaux is 51. Rock musician Pat Badger is 49. Actress Irene Bedard is 49. Actor Rhys Ifans is 49. Actress Diana Maria Riva is 47. Actor Colin Ferguson is 44. Actor/singer Jaime Camil ("Jane the Virgin") is 43. Retired NFL player Keyshawn Johnson is 44. Rock musician Daniel Jones is 43. Singer Rufus Wainwright is 43. Actress Franka Potente is 42. Actress A.J. Cook is 38. Actor Keegan Allen is 29. Actress Camila Banus is 26. Actress Selena Gomez is 24. Britain's Prince George of Cambridge is 3.