1996 — 25 years ago
- Rochester Community and Technical College will be the official name of the consolidated Rochester Community College and Minnesota Riverland Technical College. The schools will merge on July 1, 1996.
- The wind-chill temperature dropped to 61 below in Albert Lea, and several inches of snow fell overnight in Rochester.
1971 — 50 years ago
- H&R Block Co., the largest tax service in America, will complete your federal and state tax returns for $5 and up.
- An estimated 150,000 more registered nurses are needed immediately, according to the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.
1946 — 75 years ago
- Veterans will organize a Veterans of Foreign Wars post in St. Charles. A class of 60 veterans will join the new post at the first open meeting.
- The Rochester prep hockey boys continue to hold off challenges from Minneapolis schools. The Queen City boys beat West High, and Miller High was victim No. 2. Ray Purves was the scoring star for Rochester.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Telegraph and telephone lines worked only spasmodically due to a sleet storm center over northern Iowa and southern Minnesota. Most of the trouble is reported in Rochester, Austin, Winona and Red Wing.
- Leonard Ear Oil is available in most drugstores. You rub the oil behind your eyes and into your nostrils, which will relieve deafness and stop head noises.