1996 — 25 years ago
- The Houston School Board has unanimously approved a two-year contract with teachers. The new pact calls for a 6.8% increase in salary and benefits.
- Rochester Lourdes grad Missy Decker was named Big Eight Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Week. The Kansas State junior scored a career-high 26 points in an upset win over Oklahoma State.
1971 — 50 years ago
- George McNeilus, of Dodge Center, captured the second annual Mississippi Valley Snowmobile Classic championship at the Tri-Oval Speedway in Fountain City, Wis.
- Clarence “Burgy” Burgeson retired after 41 years as managing editor of the Austin Daily Herald.
- St. Paul will hold its 85th annual Winter Carnival this week. The preliminary snowmobile race from Winnipeg, Canada, to Lake Owasso will start today.
1946 — 75 years ago
- A new Veterans of Foreign Wars post will be established in Mabel on Feb. 3. A class of 50 will become members of the organization.
- The St. Charles doubles bowling tournament has 94 teams entered for the competition.
- 2,500 Rochester and area residents and visitors jammed the Mayo Civic Auditorium to dance and listen to the music of Duke Ellington and his band.
1921 — 100 years ago
- The gasoline cost throughout the area dropped 2 cents from 29 to 27 cents a gallon at service stations. Gasoline from tank wagons also dropped from 27 to 25 cents a gallon.
- Women in all parts of the city are organizing in preparation for the spring elections. The women of Rochester will exert a considerable influence on the results of elections for years to come.