1996 — 25 years ago
- A man armed with a pistol robbed a Northwest Rochester bank of an undetermined amount of cash. The man walked into the First Bank branch of Silver Lake Shopping Center on North Broadway, showed a pistol, and demanded money.
- Brian LaPlante has taken over as head boys basketball coach at Plainview High School. LaPlante is also assisting with the Rochester Community College men’s basketball team.
1971 — 50 years ago
- Charles Manson and three female members of what became known as the “Manson Family” were convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy in the slayings of actress Sharon Tate and six others.
- Dick Gregory, a well-known Black comedian, lecturer, author, and leader in civil rights, will speak in the Rochester State Junior College gymnasium Feb. 9.
1946 — 75 years ago
- In an organizational meeting of the Lettermen’s Club at Rochester High School, Phil Ringgenberg was elected president. Robert McNish is the faculty sponsor of the club.
- A total of 150 young men and women have enrolled in the Rochester Junior College for the second semester, a 38% increase in registrations from last year.
1921 — 100 years ago
- The population of Rochester, according to the 1920 census, has increased from 13,722 to 15,506.
- The Knights of Columbus will ensure there will be no improper dancing at events in the future. The shimmy, camel walk, turkey trot, and other kindred dances will not be permitted. There also will be no cheek-to-cheek dancing. It is suggested, to be safe, dancers take positions of 6 inches apart.