1996 — 25 years ago
- Thrill-seekers continue to line up to take the 200-foot, 12-second ride down the snow slide at the Winter Carnival at the Capitol Mall in St. Paul.
- Snowplows throughout the area have been pulled off the roads due to dangerous blizzard conditions. Officials urge no travel, as snow totals in some counties are 14 inches, and 7-foot snowdrifts have been reported.
1971 — 50 years ago
- Rochester Mayo’s Jeff Latz swam the fastest high school 100-yard freestyle in the state so far this season. Jim McCall also took a pair of firsts, leading Mayo to the Bloomington Jefferson Invitational Meet team championship.
- More than $2,000 was raised at a community auction in Zumbrota for a community swimming pool.
1946 — 75 years ago
- Four Rochester physicians and surgeons will participate in the program at the meeting of the American College of Surgeons in Minneapolis. Dr. Charlie W. Mayo will take part in a panel discussion. Dr. Waltman Walters will also lead a discussion on “Treatment of Open Wounds.”
- Wanted: Two young ladies to clerk in the Weber and Judd Co. Masonic Temple Drug Store. Full-time, permanent position.
- The Pla-Mor Ballroom will host the Firemen’s Ball, with music by Jerry Tupper and the Old Time Orchestra.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Country people are opposed to hanging taillights on their wagons to avoid the danger of being hit by automobiles, so the bill to require taillights will be postponed.
- The Rochester High School debate team will be in Austin, competing with Austin for the district championship. The Rochester team includes Malcolm Chapman, Arnold Burton and Richard Chapman.