1996 — 25 years ago
- The Rochester John Marshall Rockets hockey team won the Section One, Class AA hockey crown and will head to the state tournament for the first time since 1989. The Rochester team will face Edina, winners of Section Six. (Edina would beat the Rockets 6-2 in the quarterfinals.)
- Pine Island’s Ben Meyer won the Class B state heavyweight title and is the first Panther wrestler to win a state championship. Meyer was runner-up at state in 1995.
1971 — 50 years ago
- Gov. Wendell Anderson urged the Minnesota Legislature to create a state Housing Finance Agency to assist in meeting the housing needs of the state. This includes housing at prices most Minnesotans can afford.
- A bill authorizing Minnesota’s first moose hunting season since 1922 was approved by a Minnesota House subcommittee. The Department of Natural Resources will issue 400 permits authorizing the taking of one moose by a party of four hunters.
1946 — 75 years ago
- Officials of three veteran organizations in Minnesota are showing rapid growth in numbers. The American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Disabled American Veterans all report over 50% increase in membership in the past year.
- Boxes for refugee children of Norway were being packed by the students of Rochester High School under the supervision of the Junior Red Cross chairperson Mrs. Ina Gae King.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Looking with disfavor on any proposal that “town teachers” teach country children about farming, the Minnesota House of Representatives killed a bill to add elementary agriculture to the list of knowledge first- grade teachers must have.
- J. J. Speeter has been elected as mayor of St. Charles. The vote was 399 for Speeter and 309 for his opponent.