1996 — 25 years ago
- Sen. Paul Wellstone was in Winona today to discuss the continued funding for the Community Oriented Police Service (COPS) grant. Last year, Winona was able to hire a full-time police officer through the COPS funding.
- Federal and state highway officials have given the green light to a planned $90 million reconstruction of U.S. Highway 52 through Rochester.
1971 — 50 years ago
- American casualties in the Vietnam War rose last week to 54,284, surpassing the Korean War death toll and making it the fourth costliest war in U.S. history.
- Dick Siebert, University of Minnesota baseball coach, announced that he will start Dave Winfield, a 6-foot-5 sophomore, today against St. Cloud State. Winfield may develop into the ace of the Gopher pitching staff.
1946 — 75 years ago
- Chatfield voters turned out for the municipal election and decided affirmatively to establish a municipal liquor store. There were 354 “yes” votes to 271 negative ballots.
- “The African American Problem of Ours” is the topic to be discussed at the April meeting of the Rochester College Women’s Club, when Dr. Raymond Bragg addresses the group at the Mayo Foundation House.
1921 — 100 years ago
- The National League of Women Voters, with 2 million members, will open its second annual convention in Cleveland. Issues to be discussed and recommendations will be made for laws protecting mothers and their babies, federal aid for maternity and infant care, and improving women's working conditions.
- A nationwide campaign for better American speech will be the General Federation of Women’s Clubs' goal. “Shabby, careless speech is as bad as slovenly clothing. Respect the beautiful language of America, and others will respect you.”