1996 — 25 years ago
- Barb Olson, an Olmsted County detention deputy, has been named the national Female Corrections Officer of the Year.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger’s $70 million new film, “Jingle All the Way,” will be filmed in several Minnesota areas, including the Mall of America and Mickey’s Diner.
1971 — 50 years ago
- Former Sen. Eugene McCarthy will be among speakers at an antiwar rally at the Metropolitan Sports Center. Also to appear will be Lt. John Kerry, a young Vietnam War veteran who was in the spotlight of congressional hearings on the war last week.
- The Eyota American Legion Post has selected Jerry Schumann, son of Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Schumann, of Eyota, to represent Dover-Eyota High School at the Boys State Convention at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter.
1946 — 75 years ago
- President Truman proclaimed Sunday, May 12, as Mother’s Day and called for a nationwide observance. The president’s Mother’s Day proclamation said it is appropriate after victory, “on a thousand fields of battle,” and called upon officials to display the American flag on all government buildings.
- According to the Chiropodist Society, the feet of today’s young women are getting bigger and bigger, mainly because of the soft, slipper-like shoes they wear.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Police reserves had to be called in New York City to hold back an unruly crowd gathered when 600 gallons of beer, seized by the police, was being poured down a sewer. Men and women showed up with pitchers, basins and cups, and tried to break through the line with no success.
- The daylight saving plan was discussed by the Rochester Retail Merchants. Still, no decision was reached as to putting the plan into effect. Considerable opposition has developed by the inconvenience by which it puts the farmer.