1996 — 25 years ago
- Hundreds of Native Americans from several different tribal nations came together for the second annual Traditional Intertribal Powwow at Winona State University’s Maxwell Field.
- KNXR’s campaign for classical music raised $30,596 for the Rochester Orchestra and Chorale. Conductor Jere Lantz was on hand for the entire campaign.
1971 — 50 years ago
- Units of the Minnesota National Guard are being issued new, rapid-firing M-16 rifles developed for the Vietnam War. All guard personnel will receive instruction not to activate the automatic-firing lever during civil disturbances.
- Lewiston High School will hold its annual Athletic Award Banquet at the high school. Jerry Pyle, a University of Minnesota basketball star, will be the guest speaker.
1946 — 75 years ago
- An eighth-grade student from a one-room school in Otter Tail County is the champion in the first state spelling bee sponsored by the Minneapolis Tribune. Beatrice Tolppi, of Birch Grove School, won the spelling crown, which includes a trip to Washington, D.C.
- Harold Stassen, former Minnesota governor and war veteran, appeared before a group of Republicans from nine Minnesota colleges. He urged more involvement in politics by young people.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Eighty seniors will graduate on June 3 from Rochester High School. Dr. Edward Steiner, popular speaker and head of the Department of Applied Christianity at Iowa College in Grinnell, will deliver the commencement address.
- Fred Fulton, Rochester heavyweight, knocked out Jack Temple, of San Francisco, in the first round at the Irish benefit boxing show in Pittsburg.