1996 — 25 years ago
- Adult baseball players with previous college or professional experience are welcome to try out for the 1996 Rochester Royals men’s amateur baseball team.
- Led by Rochester Mayo senior Ryan Wieme’s high school course record 68, the Mayo golf team crushed Austin and Mankato East in a three-team Big Nine Conference meet at Eastwood Golf Course.
1971 — 50 years ago
- Cindy Klassen, of Plainview, was crowned Miss Plainview 1971. Miss Klassen played a piano medley in the talent portion of the program.
- Fishing anglers by the thousands invaded Minnesota lakes during the opening weekend of walleye and northern pike seasons, with catches reported improved from last year’s openers.
1946 — 75 years ago
- Thousands of Norwegian-Americans in Minnesota joined Norway in celebrating Syttende Mai, the anniversary of Norway’s independence as a nation in 1814.
- Pine Island Post 7382 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars was inaugurated in a ceremony in the high school community room. J. J. Miller was elected as the first commander.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Fishermen should be content with a mess of fish instead of trying to catch all of them in the lake or stream. During opening weekend, anglers are reminded there are state fishing regulations.
- The Minnesota American Legion Women’s Auxiliary will aid in preparing and conducting ceremonies in honor of dead soldiers throughout the state during Memorial Day.