1996 — 25 years ago
- U.S. Sen. Paul Wellstone and former Sen. Rudy Boschwitz are vying for the support of Minnesota’s Independence Party, which will hold its first convention this weekend.
- About 6 inches of rain fell in southern Minnesota, causing mudslides that closed southbound 169 between Mankato and St. Peter.
1971 — 50 years ago
- President Nixon declared drug abuse “public enemy No. 1” and called for a new all-out offensive to rehabilitate drug victims and cut off the illicit narcotics supply.
- August 1972 is the target date for relocating the Rochester Public Library to the former J.C. Penney Co. store in the downtown area.
1946 — 75 years ago
- The brand new 1947 model Studebaker is now on display at Superior Sales and Service, 24 First Ave. NW in Rochester.
- “Badman’s Territory,” starring Randolph Scott and Ann Richards, is currently showing at the Chateau. Kids' Saturday morning shows are at 10:30 a.m.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Next to iron and timber, peat is the most valuable of Minnesota’s natural resources. Minnesota has the advantage of vast deposits of peat.
- With the vaccination of more than 900 members of the 5th Minnesota Infantry at Fort Snelling on account of smallpox in the regiment, the quarantine has been lifted.