1996 — 25 years ago
- Peace Plaza has become a battleground between teenagers who hang out there and businesses and community leaders who fear the groups are driving visitors away.
1971 — 50 years ago
- Miss Sandra Schiltz, a recent graduate of Caledonia Public High School, was crowned Miss Houston County Dairy Princess. She will enter Viterbo College, La Crosse, this fall as a nursing student.
- The Agriculture Department Statistical Reporting Services estimates there are 2.9 million farms in operation in 1970 — 26% fewer than in 1960. (In 2020, there were just over 2 million farms in the United States.)
1946 — 75 years ago
- Acting Chief of Police A. M. Nelson, of Rochester, was named to the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association Board of Directors.
- An advisory committee to assist in raising $275,000 in Minnesota next month for the Salvation Army’s “Marching Forward” program has been named by Dr. Charles W. Mayo, of Rochester, state chairman of the drive.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Dr. William J. Mayo, of Rochester, has been selected to deliver the welcome at the sixth annual convention of the Catholic Hospital Association of the United States and Canada at St. Thomas College in St. Paul. Several sisters connected with the hospital in Rochester will also attend.