1996 — 25 years ago
- State Rep. Dave Bishop, of Rochester, will be named legislator of the year by the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association at its 74th annual convention in the Kahler Hotel.
- Mama B’s Ristorante opened in the Zumbro Market building in downtown Rochester in the space once occupied by Esteban’s Restaurante & Cantina.
1971 — 50 years ago
- The Lewiston High School Future Farmers of America Chapter was represented at the National FFA Conference in Washington, D.C., by Bob Heublein, of Rushford.
- A $200,000 renovation and expansion program is underway at the Farmer’s Elevator in Stewartville. Three new storage bins with a total capacity of 400,000 bushels will be constructed.
1946 — 75 years ago
- The joint Army-Navy task force disclosed the full complexity of the upcoming atomic bomb test at Bikini Atoll on July 1. (23 nuclear weapons were detonated at Bikini Atoll between 1946 and 1958 — the environmental damage was significant.)
- Early pea-canning operations were in full swing at the Lakeside Packing Company in Plainview.
- The high cost of living has hit beer drinkers. The retail price for a bottle of beer is going up one cent.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Without immediate financial assistance, the Young Men’s Christian Association in Rochester may have to close its doors.
- Another theft from a home, a diamond ring valued at $400 and cash, is part of a concerning rash of burglaries hitting the Rochester area.