1996 — 25 years ago
- Tony Dungy, a former quarterback for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers in 1975-76, and assistant coach with the Minnesota Vikings, is heading into his first National Football League training camp with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a head coach.
- Dave Siercks won his first WISSOTA Modified Feature race of the season at the Winona County Speedway in St. Charles.
1971 — 50 years ago
- The Board of Education of Elgin-Millville School District 806 voted to continue the Millville Elementary School operation for at least another year. Children in grades one through four attend the Millville Elementary School.
- With all its authentic furnishings, the little red schoolhouse will be open to the public during the Winona County Fair in St. Charles.
1946 — 75 years ago
- For the first time in U.S. Navy history, Lt. Comdr. James J. Davidson, of Rochester, piloted a McDonnell XFD-1 Phantom fighter jet as it made a series of successful takeoffs and landings on the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Franklin D. Roosevelt. An Associated Press news release said jet operations on carriers foreshadow a new era in naval aviation.
1921 — 100 years ago
- Everything is set for the two-week Boy Scout Camp at Clear Lake, Waseca. Between 60 and 70 boys are expected. The only problem is securing enough tents to accommodate the Scouts. If anyone has a tent to loan, the Scouts would be very grateful.
- The local rifle club will commence outdoor firing practice this Sunday. The club is affiliated with the National Rifle Association, and any American citizen is eligible for membership. Interested persons are welcome on the range, east of the state hospital.