City Engineer Charles A. Anderson viewed the extension of South Broadway as a golden opportunity.
Thanks to the razing of the old central fire hall at the intersection of South Broadway and Fourth Street, city-owned land that had been hard to access and used for outdoor storage and as a dumping site for old building materials, was now being used for streets, businesses and other buildings.
By the summer of 1933, one of those new buildings would provide the workshop and storage facility for Anderson’s own department. Located at 517 S. Broadway, next to the new Central Fire Station, the City Engineer Warehouse was the center of activity for both the engineer department and Rochester Public Works.
Add the fact that Anderson had his own office in the new City Hall completed a year earlier, he must have felt like he had won the lottery.
“Lens on History” is a weekly photo feature by Lee Hilgendorf, a volunteer at the History Center of Olmsted County.