1996 – 25 years ago
- Kate Krenzke was crowned Miss La Crescent, Apple Queen of Minnesota. More than 500 people attended the coronation banquet at the La Crescent High School.
- A 1910 Honus Wagner baseball card, considered the Holy Grail of baseball collectibles, sold at auction for $640,500.
1971 – 50 years ago
- Arvid “Swede” Hagberg of Rochester, a Minnesota State Department of Corrections supervisor, has been selected as “Corrections Man of the Year” by the Minnesota Correctional Association.
- Lt. Gen. George I. Forsythe, who is in charge of the transition of the Army to an all-volunteer force, stated it will be impossible to meet the deadline of mid-1973.
1946 – 75 years ago
- A Great Western Railroad freight car was overturned, and another derailed, and a Chicago & North Western locomotive left the track in a collision about a mile west of St. Charles. There were no injuries.
- Twenty-two people were arraigned in Preston for charges of illegal liquor sales. All paid fines ranged from $50 to $300.
- A powerful Lake City High School football team steamrolled over Lewiston 40-0. Fullback Bob Anderson led the scoring with two touchdowns.
1921 – 100 years ago
- With a view of giving everybody in Rochester an opportunity of inspecting the beautiful Kahler on its opening date of Sept. 27, members of the visiting nursing committee of the Civic League will act as hostesses. A musical program will be a feature of the open house.
- Carleton College at Northfield started the fall term with 725 students enrolled. That is the largest enrollment in its history.
- Nearly 40 men are on the Rochester High School football team. They are practicing nightly on Mayo Field. Coach Friederich reports that the backfield will be quick, and the line is beefy.