1996 – 25 years ago
- Saint Marys Hospital Auxiliary has pledged $25,000 toward the construction of Hope Lodge, a home for cancer patients, and Rochester Methodist Auxiliary plans to pledge the same amount.
- The Mayo Spartans football team won its homecoming game 22-12 over Owatonna at Mayo High School Field. Mayo quarterback Luke Tessum scored twice to help Mayo to its homecoming victory.
1971 – 50 years ago
- About 400 IBM employees held a special kick-off to mark their drive to help raise $717,500 for United Fund.
- The use of newspapers in the United States and Canada as a classroom teaching tool is on the upswing affecting nearly 5 million students in 33,575 schools.
- Rochester Fire Chief Orville Mertz has been elected president of the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association. Mertz has been a fireman in Rochester since 1947.
1946 – 75 years ago
- The 1947 goal for Houston County’s 35 4-H clubs is enrollment of 800 members. Currently, the county has 777 members.
- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower said that there was “too much pessimism in the world about international relations and too much discounting of progress that is being made.”
1921 – 100 years ago
- The rug in the lobby of The Kahler is a reproduction of a 15th-century Persian rug.
- Every city in the country has been mandated to open an employment agency and find jobs for idle men before the winter.
- Gov. Preus stated at a banquet, “Without the Mayos, The Kahler and Rochester’s development would not have been possible.”