Before the turn of the last century, Dansingburg Lumber Co. constructed a lumberyard at 1 N. Broadway. The new 90- by 140-foot building would become part of a downtown area that the locals called “Lumber Row.” Dodge Lumber on First Avenue and First Street SW and Botsford Lumber at 1 First Ave. SW were both less than a block away.
In 1903, Hayes-Lucas Lumber and Fuel bought out Dansingburg and operated on the corner until the spring of 1950 when they moved the yard to a larger location.
Meanwhile, Mayo Properties wanted to add an air conditioning unit to its Franklin Station. The only obstacle to their plan was an old Shell filling station on the corner of Second Avenue and Third Street Southwest. A deal was made, and by May 1950, the former lumberyard site had been cleared away and work had begun on the new Scotty’s Shell Service Station.
“Lens on History” is a weekly photo feature by Lee Hilgendorf, a volunteer at the History Center of Olmsted County.