1996 — 25 years ago
- John Marshall student Megan Lockey, daughter of Doug and Molly Lockey, has been named West Kiwanis Student of the Month. Megan is involved in Marching Band, World Language Club, and the Rochester Figure Skating Club.
- Former Zumbrota-Mazeppa running back and linebacker Parc Williams has been named one of the team captains for next year’s Minnesota Gophers football team.
1971 — 50 years ago
- A major winter storm has caused the worst driving conditions so far this season. A heavy mat of wet snow and slush hit the area, and extensive icing occurred.
- Denny Wick hit a field goal and free throw in the final 20 seconds to give Lewiston a thrilling 47-46 victory over Plainview in the basketball season opener for both teams.
1946 — 75 years ago
- A teacher strike in St. Paul has closed 77 schools and left 36,578 pupils out of their classrooms.
- There have been several arrests of motorists for endangering the lives of children who are boarding and leaving school buses. The law requires all vehicles to stop when meeting school buses that are loading or unloading children. The highway patrol will continue to arrest all drivers found violating the school bus law.
1921 — 100 years ago
- A Paige touring car, built in Detroit, belonging to Edward Schoenig, was stolen in front of the Lawler Theater in Rochester. The police were notified, and they did find the stolen car on East Seventh Avenue. The bandit got away.
- This week at the Arthur Café, a $1 turkey dinner with all the trimmings will be served. The menu includes desserts like banana cream pie, apple pie, and chocolate sundae layer cake. If not completely satisfied with the meal, you can get your money back.