Did you know that not eating enough nuts and seeds is the third-leading risk factor for death and disease? Whether you snack on almonds and sunflower seeds or add walnuts to your salad, getting enough nuts and seeds in your diet is important for staying healthy. It is recommended that you aim for 1 ounce (a small handful) of nuts and seeds per day.
Walnuts are one of the healthiest nuts as they have the highest antioxidant and omega-3 levels. Walnuts also contain a lot of polyunsaturated fatty acids, which improve cholesterol levels.
Ways to add more walnuts to you diet:
- Top salad, yogurt, or toast with chopped walnuts
- Make a trail mix with dried fruit, seeds, and walnuts
- Add walnuts to your charcuterie board of cheese and fruit
- Mix walnuts into your favorite homemade bread or cookie recipe
- Sprinkle walnuts on top of dessert
I have included a recipe for beet and walnut quinoa salad for a healthy walnut recipe. Enjoy!