The Bach Society of Minnesota will ring in Christmas with a performance of Bach's Christmas Oratorio at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Mount Olive Lutheran Church, 2830 18th Ave. NW, Rochester.
A full baroque orchestra, chorus and soloists will present Cantatas I, V and VI from Bach's 1734 depiction of the Christmas story. Also on the program is "Gelobet seist du, Jesu Christ," which Bach wrote 10 years prior to the oratorio.
The Rochester concert is the only Bach Society performance this holiday season outside of the Twin Cities area.
The Bach Society orchestra is directed by Matthias Maute. Vocal soloists Sarah Brailey, Clara Osowski, Nicholas Chalmers and Jonathan Ten Brink have extensive credits with orchestras and opera companies nationwide.
Tickets are $30 for adults, $25 for senior citizens, $5 for students, with free admission for younger than 12; available at bachsocietymn.org and at the door.
Holiday choir concerts take center stage
With the Christmas season upon us, lovers of choral music have three concerts to choose from Sunday.
- The Rochester Male Chorus begins its 90th season of music with "The Gifts of Christmas" at 4:30 p.m. at Zumbro Lutheran Church, 624 Third Ave. SW. Tom Overlie is guest soloist, with Loud Mouth Brass providing musical accompaniment. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for senior citizens, $5 for youth, available at Rochester Hy-Vee stores and at 507-990-1597.
- The Bluff Country Singers will present Christmas concerts at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday at Our Saviors Lutheran Church, 805 S. Broadway, Spring Valley. The concert features 40 voices, a seven-piece brass ensemble and piano accompaniment. Handel's "Hallelujah" chorus from "Messiah" concludes both concerts. Admission is a freewill offering.
- The Winona Hims Christmas concerts are at 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Sunday at Wesley United Methodist Church, 114 W. Broadway in Winona. The Cochrane-Fountain City Choir will also perform. A freewill offering will be collected to benefit the Rushford Food Shelf.
Church to take Christmas pageant on the road
Christ Community Church of Rochester will present 30-minute Christmas pageants Saturday at three local senior living facilities. The performances tell the story of the first Christmas.
- 10 a.m., The Homestead, 1900 Ballington Drive NW
- 11 a.m. The Brookemoor, 5530 Ballington Road NW
- 11:45 a.m., Madonna Meadows, 3035 Salem Meadows Drive SW
The public is invited.
Saint Mary's University to host weekend holiday concerts
WINONA --Saint Mary's University will present holiday music in a variety of settings this weekend.
- "Jingle Bell Swing," featuring the school's jazz ensembles, is at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Page Theatre on campus.
- The Saint Mary's Chamber Orchestra performs at 3 p.m. Saturday in Page Theatre.
- The traditional service of "Lessons and Carols" will be presented at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in the Chapel of Saint Mary of the Angels, Wabasha and Vila streets in Winona.
- The Saint Mary's Concert Band and Wind Ensemble will perform holiday favorites at 4 p.m. Sunday in Page Theatre.
Tickets for each concert are $10 for adults, $5 for students and seniors, available at 507-457-1715 and pagetheatre.org, as well as at the door.
Chatfield to celebrate 'Wyatt Christmas'
CHATFIELD -- Singer/songwriter/storyteller Wyatt Easterling will perform at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in conjunction with the Bluff Country Christmas celebration.
The concert is at the Chatfield Center for the Arts, 405 Main St. S, in Chatfield. Tickets are $20 in advance, $22 at the door; chatfieldarts.org or 507-884-7676.