ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19: No in-person classes at Minnesota State for 2 weeks

In compliance with Gov. Tim Walz's COVID-19 emergency shelter-in-place order, all Minnesota State University courses will be taught remotely for at least two more weeks.

f99d690e83bd22663421cc7922a81272.jpg
A student walks around the campus of Minnesota State University Moorhead on Tuesday, March 24. Derek Murray / WDAY

ST. PAUL — In compliance with Gov. Tim Walz's COVID-19 emergency shelter-in-place order, all Minnesota State University courses will be taught remotely for at least two more weeks.

Previously, Minnesota State had planned to resume some in-person classes on March 30 or April 6. But in an email sent late in the evening on Sunday, March 29, Patricia Rogers, president of Lake Superior College in Duluth, told faculty, staff and students that the Minnesota State system on Sunday evening "received a directive from the Executive Branch that holding in-person instruction, even as we had planned with social distancing and CDC cleaning standards, should be delayed for at least two more weeks."

Rogers said that "about 90%" of MSU's instruction and student services had already been moved online. But for the remaining 10% or so, "face-to-face classes have been suspended for at least the next two weeks."

A few days prior, in a Thursday, March 26 email, Minnesota State Chancellor Devinder Malhotra said Walz had classified educational services as essential, therefore "the 37 colleges and universities of Minnesota State are exempt from this order."

Malhotra said some campus-based services would still be available, but on-campus staffing would be limited. Rogers in her Sunday email said campus service plans may be scaled further back on Monday, but that the university system is working to make sure students can access services like advising, financial aid, counseling and food shelves.

ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 is a contagious respiratory illness caused by the novel coronavirus. As of Monday,  576 Minnesotans have tested positive for the virus and 10 have died as a result.

As a public service, we’ve opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status. If this coverage is important to you, please consider supporting local journalism by clicking on the subscribe button in the upper righthand corner of the homepage.

Minnesota Department of Health COVID-19 hotline: 651-201-3920.

School and childcare hotline: 651-297-1304 or 800-657-3504.

MDH COVID-19 website:  Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) website .

MSUM

ADVERTISEMENT

Source: Minnesota Department of Health

Related Topics: EDUCATIONTIM WALZ
What To Read Next
The Touchdown Pepperoni Cheese Ball features a medley of popular pizza flavors including mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, olives, jalapeños, onion, garlic, crushed red peppers, oregano and pepperoni.
Laura Meihofer’s attire driven by function and comfort.
Food writer Holly Ebel says with Valentine's Day approaching, it's time to think sweet thoughts and purchase some sweet treats from special shops around the region.
This week, gardening columnist Don Kinzler fields questions about planting potatoes, rabbit-resistant shrubs, and how to prevent tomato blossom end rot.