Library benefit toasts wit and wisdom
A party that makes you smarter.
The 11th annual Wit, Wisdom and Wine gala, hosted by the Rochester Public Library Foundation, will be Jan. 14.
The evening includes a selection of fun, informative classes, a silent auction, raffle and hors d'oeuvres. Participants can select two of the following classes:
• "Wine 101-Old World vs. New World" with Mike Cords of Paustis Wine Co. for a "liquid examination" of wines from some of Europe’s most historic regions, as well as their "new world" counterparts.
• "Salsa and Latin Dance." Get a dance lesson from John Kruz and Heather Engh, dance instructors at the Blue Moon Ballroom, and learn the background and health benefits of Latin dance.
• "How to Eat Like a Locavore (Even in Winter in Minnesota)." Dave Kraemer will explore options, including Community Supported Agriculture, home preserves, and local markets, that can keep you eating fresh food even through the winter.
• "Twenty years with Tracy McCray." After 20 years on the airwaves at KROC FM and AM, along with the last couple years as the Talk of the Town columnist for the Post-Bulletin, Tracy McCray will discuss the best and worst guest stories, most memorable on-air gaffes and answer questions.
• "The Blame Game: The Economy and the Election." Former Congressman and gubernatorial candidate Tim Penny will discuss how incumbent presidents have historically faced tough re-election odds in tough economic times. Will this pattern play out again in 2012?
• "Food & Wine: The World’s Longest Lasting Love Affair." Chef Johnny Mangouras will discuss wine pairing and give a lesson on how to make the "5 classic sauces" of the culinary world.
• "Mayo SMART Program." Dr. Amit Sood will describe the Stress Management and Resiliency Training Program, a two-step program to help you better handle your stressors and as a result enhance your physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well-being.
• "Social Media." Lee Aase, director of the Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media, will discuss the first-of-its-kind social media center focused on health care and social media tools.
• "Art and Healing: Exploring the Mayo Clinic Art Collection." Sally Enders will provide a virtual tour of Mayo Clinic's expansive art collection.
• "Light" a play commissioned by the Rochester Public Library, written and directed by Rochester Civic Theatre Executive Director Gregory Stavrou, explores the personal and community impact of racism.