More than a dozen ways to ring in 2013
The world didn't end, but 2012 is about to.
Here are a few choice ways to celebrate the start of 2013. All of the New Year's Eve events take place Monday.
• Bret Michaels, the famed Poison frontman, will play at Treasure Island Resort and Casino , 5734 Sturgeon Lake Road, Welch. Poison topped the 1980s with feel-good party anthems and sensitive ballads such as "Talk Dirty to Me," "Nothin' But a Good Time" and "Every Rose Has It's Thorn." Michaels has gone on to lead a successful solo career as well. Music starts at 9 p.m. Tickets: $39 and $49.
• A New Year's Eve Masquerade Ball will be held at Rochester Golf & Country Club, 3100 Country Club Road S.W. Music by Incognito. Formal attire, masks optional. Transportation home is available. Tickets are $125, includes all drinks, heavy hors d'oeuvres and champagne at midnight. A $25 discount for designated drivers. to make reservations, email email@example.com or call 536-4466.
• Downtown Kitchen , 14 Third St. S.W., Rochester, will serve up a four course meal of oysters Rockefeller, lobster bisque, filet mignon with truffle butter, spinach gratin and duchess potatoes, orange tart and champagne. Cost: $75. In addition to the special prix fixe menu, the regular menu will be served until 8:30 p.m. Reservations recommended, 226-8222.
• The CBB Jazz Combo will play jazzy swing, blues, bebop and classic big band for a New Year's Eve Dance at Blue Moon Ballroom , 2030 Hwy. 14 East, Rochester. The evening will start with a free dance lesson at 8:30 p.m. There will also be dance demonstrations, prizes and refreshments. This is an alcohol-free event. Admission is $12, $10 for students.
• Masks and mustaches will be provided for a masquerade party at Clarion Inn, 1630 S. Broadway. Live music by Northern Comfort, a premier Twin Cities based band. Tickets $10 in advance, $12 at the door. The hotel's Viking Lounge will have karaoke. Free admission.
• Miles Johnston Quartet and Annie Mack will play a New Year's Eve of cool jazz and hot blues at Pescara, 150 S. Broadway, Rochester. Music starts at 7 p.m.
• Cafe Accordion Orchestra and Monroe Crossing will play a New Year's concert of bongos, berets and bluegrass at the Sheldon Theatre , 443 West Third St., Red Wing. Music at 7 p.m. Tickets $27.50, $17.50 students.
• Next 2 Nothing will play at Road Trip Bar and Grill, 217 Main St. N., Dover. Music starts at 10 p.m. No cover.
• Bad Logic will play a New Year's Eve party at North Star Bar, 503 N. Broadway, Rochester. No cover.
• Beer Bellyz, 821 Civic Center Drive, Rochester, hosts Rochester's only ball drop and light show. There will also be a champagne toast at midnight, party favors and a live DJ. No cover.
• Pop Rocks will play covers of the ultimate dance songs at Wicked Moose, 1201 Eastgate Dr. S.E., Rochester. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets: $10.
• A six-course chef tasting dinner will be served up at Zzest, 1190 16th St. S.W., Rochester . Seatings at 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. Cost: $65. Reservations recommended; call 424-0080.
• Featured performers at the New Year's Eve Extravaganza at the Paramount Theatre , 125 Fourth Ave. N.E., Austin, are Sylvia Davis, Wendy Larson, Deb Nordland, Tori Dean, Barb Sprandel, Jack Kappa, Pete Jacobsen, Craig Thompson, Tommy Sankstone, Ruth Anne and Virginia Milton. Club Paramount Social Hour at 6 p.m. Music starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $14, $12 for members and $5 for students in advance and $16, $14 and $7 at the door.
• Comedians John DeBoer and Jamie Blanchard will perform two New Year's Eve stand-up shows at Goonies Comedy Club , 7 Second St. S.W., Rochester. Showtimes are 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. Tickets: $25 in advance, plus tax. A complimentary champagne toast will be served at both performances.
• Mickey's Irish Saloon, 1605 Civic Center Drive, Rochester, will have free champagne, party favors, a live DJ and drink specials. No cover.
• Uncle John's Bar and Grill, formerly Party Cove Bar and Grill on Lake Zumbro, 12510 Oak Lodge Lane N.E., Rochester, will have a prime rib special in addition to the regular menu. The restaurant, which will open at 3 p.m., is normally closed on Mondays. Reservations appreciated; call 367-4903.
• DJs will mix Latin hits at a New Years party at Whiskey Bones Roadhouse, 3820 U.S. 63 N., Rochester. No cover.
• Dooley's Pub , 255 First Ave. S.W., will have a DJ, champagne at midnight and balloons as part of its New Year's Eve bash. No cover.
• Light up the night with a complementary glow stick at Tap House , 10 Third St. S.W., Rochester.
• Astrogliders and the Star Squids will lead the psychedelic rock at the New Year's Eve Gala celebration at Kathy's Pub, 307 S. Broadway, Rochester. No cover.