Nutrition Q - Celery
Celery, perhaps unjustly, has a long-standing reputation as the blandest of vegetables. Prepare to change your mind after taking this quiz.
1. A new study reports that celery contains a hormone called andosterone, which has what effect on men?
a) Improves oxygen capacity for cyclists, enabling them to ride faster, longer
b) Puts pheromones into their sweat, which helps draw the attention of the opposite sex
c) Fights tooth decay and gum disease better than fluoride and flossing
2. Celery also contains a phytochemical compound, courmarin, that is effective in enhancing the activation of white blood cells. What is among the benefits?
a) Lowers blood pressure
b) Helps ease migraines
3. True or false: Celery contains more sodium than most vegetables.
4. Two pieces of raw celery covered with a half-tablespoon of peanut butter is considered a healthy snack. How many calories does it contain?
5. True or false: According to snopes.com, it takes more calories to eat a piece of raw celery than the celery has in it to begin with.
6. What percentage of a celery stalk is fiber?
a) 86 percent
b) 92.5 percent
c) 99 percent
ANSWERS: 1: b; 2: c; 3: true; 4: b; 5: true (celery has 6 calories per stalk; it takes more calories to digest it); 6: a
Sources: "Staying Young: 10 Steps to Ultimate Health"; thedailyplate.com; www.everynutrient.com; www.snopes.com.