FRIDAY, JAN. 16
• The Rochester Youth Hockey Association PeeWee A Tournament will be played in Rochester through Sunday. The Rochester Convention and Visitors Bureau estimates 300 people will attend.
• The 2009 Frostbite Volleyball Tournament will be played throughout Rochester through Sunday. The Rochester Convention and Visitors Bureau estimates that 500 people will attend.
MONDAY, JAN. 19
• The Rochester Area Chamber of Commerce will host the 14th annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. We Have a Dream Breakfast from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. at the Heritage Hall in the Kahler Grand Hotel, Rochester. The keynote address will be given by Ahmad Siddiqui, owner of Sana’s Gifts and The UPS Store in Rochester. Cost is $25 per person or $200 for a table of eight. To register, contact the Chamber of Commerce at 288-1122.
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 21
• The Med City Marketers Chapter of BNI will meet from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. at La Quinta Inn and Conference Center, 1625 South Broadway, in Rochester. Visitors are welcome and asked to bring business cards to pass. For more information call 206-9340.
MONDAY, JAN. 26
• The annual Rochester Area Sports Banquet will be held beginning with a reception at 5:30 p.m. at the Mayo Civic Center. Guest speaker will be Jennie Finch, U.S. Olympic softball pitcher and gold medalist. Tickets are $30 and can be ordered by calling 280-4701.
TUESDAY, JAN. 27
• Business Survival Summit and Workshop will run from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in Bethel Hall at Bethel Lutheran Church, 810 Third Avenue S.E. in Rochester. The event is free and open to the public. Kelly McDonough, CEO and president of the First Alliance Credit Union, and Leigh Johnson, CEO of Custom Alarm will discuss reacting to economic and business "challenges" during today’s recession. Two workshops on strategic thinking and marketing will also will be presented by two Augsburg College business professors. No registration is needed. Contact Dave Conrad at 287-7791 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
• How to Start Your Own Business, a Rochester SCORE-sponsored class, is scheduled from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in Room 319 in the Northrop Community Education Center, 201 Eighth St. N.W. Instructor Dean Swanson of Assurance Solutions LLC will discuss going from the idea stage following the steps through to opening the doors of your own business. The fee is $20 per person. For information, call the community education office of Rochester Public Schools at 328-4000 or visit www.rochesterce.org/adults.
Send items to Business Editor Jeff Kiger, Post-Bulletin, P.O. Box 6118, Rochester, MN 55903, or send e-mail to email@example.com. If you have questions or comments, call Kiger at 285-7798.