366 Century Farms and 101 Heritage Farms recognized at Iowa State Fair
DES MOINES – Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Bill Northey recognized Century and Heritage Farm families during a ceremony at the State Fair. To qualify, a family must have owned at least 40 acres for 100 years or more, in the case of Century Farms,...
DES MOINES — Century and Heritage Farm families were honored at the State Fair. To qualify, a family must have owned at least 40 acres for 100 years or more, in the case of Century Farms, and 150 years or more for a Heritage Farm.
This year, 366 Century Farms and 101 Heritage Farms were honored.
The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship has partnered with the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation since 1976 to honor families that have owned and worked a farm for 100 years or more. Including this year's recipients, more than 18,600 farms from across the state have been honored.
The Heritage Farm program was started in 2006, on the 30th anniversary of the Century Farm program and now 837 farms have been honored.
North Iowa Heritage Farm families who were honored are:
• Allamakee: Patrick James and Mary Sharon Curran, two farms, Lansing, 1851, 1854; Roger and Connie Halvorson, Waterville, 1864; Clark Kosrud, Waukon, 1862; Larry Magner and Julie Magner, 1851, farm in Winneshiek and Allamakee.
• Black Hawk: Gregory and Lori Beierschmitt, Fairbank, 1854; Joel Iseminger, Hudson, 1865; Dennis Leahy, Pat, Ken, Harold, Eileen, Tom Lehy, Rita Sullivan, Carla Jones, Bernita LaPage and Phyllis Paulson, Cedar Falls, 1862; Taylor Century Farms, Cecil, Marjane and Daryl Taylor, Hudson, 1865.
• Bremer: Maureen Hobson Allan, Plainfield, 1854.
• Buchanan: Leo and Audrey Kress, Rowley, 1865; James Tielebein and Gary Tielebein, Carol Funk and Helen Tielebein, Winthrop, 1865.
• Chickasaw: Kris Markham, Virginia Swenson and Molly Gould, Lawler, 1858.
• Clayton: Andy and Cindy Appleton, Bernetta Appleton and Elaine Sampson, Edgewood, 1865; David and Debra Reierson, Elgin, 1851.
• Delaware: Robert Ellis Beswick, Therese Hart Beswick, Greeley, 1854.
• Dubuque: Tim Daly, Matt and Ann Daly, Dan Daly, Farley, 1865; Kevin and Lori Pitz, New Vienna, 1856; Jack and Maria Smith, Durango, 1853.
• Emmet: Larson Revocable Trust, Marice and Perl Larson, Estherville, 1865.
• Floyd: William and Linda Mitchell, Charles City, 1865.
• Franklin: Donald and Kae Clay, Hampton, 1865.
• Grundy: Harlyn and Karen Riekena, Andrea Johnson, Sarah Heikens, Kathy Riekena, Harlyn Riekena Trust, Steamboat Rock, 1865.
• Kossuth: David and Rachel Boeckhold, Algona, 1865; Alan Seely, Algona, 1855.
• Palo Alto County: Joe Neary, Robert Neary II, Bill, Jim and Don Neary and Margaret Leonard, Emmetsburg, 1865.
• Winneshiek: Kenneth and Yvonne Barnes, Decorah, 1860; Steve and Ellen Sexton, Decorah, 1865; Gerald and Ruth Stortz, Decorah, 1859.
• Wright: Richard Kanady and Beverly Morphy, Clarion, 1861; Anthony and Renee Holmes, Rowan, 1859.
North Iowa Century Farm families who were recognized are:
• Allamakee County: Patrick James and Mary Sharon Curran, Lansing, (two farms); Don and Michelle Dee, Waukon; Clark Koslrud, Waukon; Roger and Mary Reed and Ronald and Frances Manderscheid, Lansing; Dean Schellhammer, Lansing.
• Black Hawk: HamERA, LLC, Ted and Linda Hamer and Elizabeth Anderson, Traer; Robert and Kathy Yuska and Tom and Lori Yuska and Stefanie and Craig Lorenzen, Hudson.
• Bremer: Dan and Mary Graeser, Waverly; James Wolf and John Wolf, Tripoli.
• Buchanan: James Arnold, Aurora; Kenneth Slattery, Masonville.
• Butler: Glenn Balsley, Clayton Balsley, Shirley Baldwin, Lawrence Balsley and Eleanore, Allen and Juanita Balsley Krull, Clarksville; Carl and Barbara DeBoer, Greene; Paul Jepsen, Bristow; David John and Diane Kaye Meyer, Aplington; Doug Schueler, Bristow; Joe William Wallbaum, Parkersburg; Shelby Wihlm, Greene.
• Clay: Winona Loomis, Ayrshire.
• Clayton: Gerald and Deborah Errthum and Richard Errthum, Holy Cross; Marleen June Heuer, Garnavillo; Leslie and Mary Klink, Elkader; Grant Miller, Farmersburg; Tim Olson, Farmersburg; Priscilla Rinderknecht and William Bushaw, Edgewood; Lary Shaw and Cathy (Hamlett) Shaw, Edgewood; Steve and July Zittergruen, Garber.
• Delaware: Robert Lamont, Hopkinton; Thomas Porter and Sheril Fenton, Manchester; Thoms and July Schechtman, Earlville.
• Dickinson: Dorthe Clark Fick, Terril; Johnson Family Trust, Vernon and Suzanne Winterhof and Sandra Sykes, Terril.
• Dubuque: Daniel and Debra Brimeyer, Sherrill; Eugene and Kathryn Gansemer, Holy Cross; Don and Cheryl Kass and Eric and Amanda Gaul, Farley.
• Emmet: Henry and Joyce Crone and Thomas Crone, Estherville; Charles and Patricia Thiel and Charlie Thiel, II, Graettinger; Diane Tromblay, David Young, Douglas Young, Jack Felkey, Russell Felkey and Jeffrey Felkey, Wallingford.
• Fayette: Baldwin Family Farm Partnership, JoAnn Baldwin, John Baldwin, Terese Schmidt and Kevin Baldwin, Wadena; Ronald and Sandra Jipson, Oelwein; Martin and Carol Kuennen, West Union; Dale and Lynette Mork, West Union; Allen Tupper, West Union.
• Floyd: Travis Thomas, Floyd; Melodee White and Carly and William Tjaden, Charles City.
• Franklin: Myron Evans and Glen Evans and Louise Evans, Alden; Thielke Family Farms LLC, Samuel, Thielke, Julie Packey and Bren Thielke, Ackley.
• Grundy: Darrell Walker, Judith Walker, Deborah Walker Finnestad and Daw Walker Smith, Paton; Mark Bessman, Betty Kakacek and Dustin and Candace Meyer, Wellsburg; John and Becky Billerbeck and Jerry and Raylene Billerbeck, Tom and Erika Billerbeck, Tamara Billerbeck, and Bobbie and Mitch Salsbury, Reinbeck; Shrley Dufel, Hudson; Joe and JoAnn, Junker, Holland; Lois Johnson Katzer, Grundy Center, William Kitzman, Beaman.
• Hancock County: Cramer Family Trust, Catherine Jones, (two farms), Kanawha; Alan and Lori Eeckhoff, Kanawha; Gourley Trust, Sharon Gourley Edward, Corwith; Lynn and DeEtta Kluver, Britt; Robert Malek, Garner.
• Howard: Gie and Ginny's LLC, Charles, Mary, Jean, Jane, Jim and Steve Jennison, Riceville; Roger and Elaine Kleve, Cresco; Leonard Shatek, Elma; Francis Smith, Elma; Eldon and Janice Strike, Cresco.
• Kossuth: Steven Berschman and Joseph Berschman, Lakota; Marion and Sharon Burt, Vernon Burt Jr., and Velma Burt and the late Rinerd and Wilma Johnson, Swea City; Steve and Darlene Cherland, Burt; Helen and Clinton Godden, Algona; Willam Robert Cross and WRG Farms LLC, Burt; Pamela Harms and Linda Mitchell, Wesley; Jones Kossuth County Farm LLC, Pamela and Gerry Scott, Buffalo Center; Michael John McNeill, Joel Arthur McNeill, Algona; LeRoy and Audrey Weber and Shirley Weber Stephens, LuVerne.
• Lyon: Terrance Groth, Inwood; Dale and Linda Kruse, Little Rock; Water Moore, Doon; Donald and Linda Thiessen, Alvord.
Mitchell: Gervis Blaser, McIntire; Lester and Ann Durban, McIntire; Rob and Marlene Weis, McIntire.
• O'Brien: Jeff Gillespie and Allene, Gilbert and Greg Gillespie, Primghar; Dean and Lissa Johnson, Hospers; Lemkuil Trust, John and Grace Lemkuil, Hospers; Van Donslear, Ruth Ann Clervinga, Archer; Wayne Van Roekel, Albertha, Andrew, Matthew, Brandon and Chris Van Roekel, Sanborn; Lon and Maureen Vogt, Artley.
• Osceola: Henze Farms LLC, Daryl and Karyl Henze, Ashton; Bonnie Klosterman, Sibley; LaVonne Van Houten, Craig Van Houten, Melvin; Alvin Van Wyk, Wayne Van Wyk, Ocheyedan; Ronald and Bonnie Venenga, Sibley.
• Palo Alto: Bruce Bonnstetter, Karen Witkowski and Gail, Greg and John Bonnstetter, West Bend; James Miller, Linda Miller, West Bend.
• Sioux County: Gradus and Caroline Kuipers, Hull; Mary Manning, Rock Valley; Stan and Bonnie Meyer, Ireton; Walter Moore, Rock Valley; Kathleen McCarty Rosenfeld, Dan McCabe, Matlock; Rowenhorst, Ken and Lori, Orange City; Gary and Shelly Sandbulte and Vernon and Johanna Sandbulte, Rock Valley.
• Winnebago: Gary and Debby Garst and Naomi Garst, Buffalo Center; Robert Lehman, Delores Thorson, Anita Beery and Cheryl Oleyar, Thompson; Brian Qualley, Lake Mills.
• Winneshiek: Matt and Darlene Andera, Calmar; David and Colleen Bigler, Decorah; Bernard and Martha Casterton, Decorah; Mark and Susan Leibold, Fort Atkinson; Ronald and Barbara Moellers, Ossian; Darlys Rausch, Fort Atkinson; Lorraine Sacquitne, Dorchester; Steve and Ellen Sexton, Decorah.
• Worth: Orland Bartz, Kensett; Doris (Bartz) Ralph, Albert Ralph, Kensett.
• Wright: Christopher Hagie, Timothy Hagie, Clarion; Allen and Cheryl Hawe, Bernadine Hawe, Belmond; James Middleton and Diane Middleton, two farms, Eagle Grove; Margaret Pruismann, Woolstock; Sarah and Steve Tassinari, Maddy and Jim Richmann, Dows; Leroy Watts, Juanita Watts, Clarion.