Area golfers to watch
- Devon Harteneck, Lake City, senior: Harteneck finished tied for fourth at the Class A state meet last season. She shot 82 the first day and 76 the second day, helping the Tigers place second overall. Harteneck has signed to play college golf next season at Northern Illinois.
- Lisa Frydenlund, Hayfield, senior: Frydenlund tied for ninth place at the Class A state meet a year ago after carding rounds of 83 and 79. She was a member of the Hiwatha Valley League All-Conference team and carried a nine-hole stroke average of 43.9.
- Janelle Lilliquist, Caledonia/Spring Grove, senior: Lilliquist carded 86 and 85 at the Class A state meet to tie for 26th place.
- Kelsey Schlicker, Lake City, senior: Schlicker placed 49th at state a year ago. She had rounds of 93 and 90 at state and helped the Tigers finish second as a team.
- Dustin Brown, Lewiston-Altura, senior: Brown missed out on the state meet last season, but he carried one of the area’s lowest nine-hole scoring averages at 39. He’s the only senior remaining on a team that went undefeated in the Three Rivers Conference last season and 9-1 overall.
- Jarid Everett, Kasson-Mantorville, junior: Everett tied for 25th at the Class A statemeet lat year. He shot rounds of 76 and 83 for a 159 total. He was the highest area finisher at the boys Class A meet.
- Spencer Halder, Lake City, junior: Halder tied for 45th at state after firing rounds of 81 and 84.
- Chace Sackett, Triton, junior: Sackett tied for 50th at state last year, but he turned in the best 18 holes of any area golfer. Sackett fired 74 the first day at state, which left him in a tie for eighth place overall. He struggled on the second day to a 94 and ended up 50th.
Fundraising is underway to move the giant ball of twine from the Highland, Wisconsin, home of creator James Frank Kotera, who died last month at age 75, 44 years after starting the big ball.