ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

AUSTIN EDITION Recreational fire in yard damages garage

From staff reports

Austin firefighters extinguished a large backyard fire that damaged a neighboring garage Sunday evening.

Matthew Sturm, 21, reported a large leaf and grass fire about 10 p.m. at his home at 1912 Sixth Ave. N.E., police Capt. Curt Rude said. The blaze melted the siding on a garage next door, he said.

Sturm said he had been raking leaves into a recreational fire he started in a pit, Rude said. It eventually spread out of control.

Rude didn't have damage estimates.

What To Read Next
Fundraising is underway to move the giant ball of twine from the Highland, Wisconsin, home of creator James Frank Kotera, who died last month at age 75, 44 years after starting the big ball.