ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Blaze destroys Mantorville home

Family escapes without injuries

By Heather J. Carlson

hcarlson@postbulletin.com

MANTORVILLE — A family is homeless after a Friday morning fire gutted their house.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 62103 235th Ave. near Mantorville shortly after 7:30 a.m., said Mantorville Fire Chief Dale Brannan. By the time crews arrived, the upper floor of the house was ablaze.

ADVERTISEMENT

"There were flames coming through the north end of the house," Brannan said.

Within two minutes, flames were shooting out the roof of the home owned by Kent and Reva Harfmann. Brannan said Kent Harfmann was leaving the house for work when he noticed the flames. He went back inside and evacuated his wife and children and called 911. No one was injured.

Brannan said it appears the fire started in the attic and could have been caused by an electrical problem. He said he does not suspect foul play.

As firefighters worked to put out the blaze, they had to contend with a winter storm dumping snow across the area. The weather made it tricky for fire trucks to make it to the home, Brannan said. At one point, fire crews had to call in sanding trucks to help out.

Responding to the fire were the Dodge County Sheriff’s Office, Mantorville and Kasson fire departments, the Dodge County ambulance, and the state fire marshal. Fire crews remained on the scene until midafternoon.

Neighbor Dan Root said he saw all the fire trucks heading toward the fire. He said his biggest concern was the family’s safety.

"It sounds like everybody got out safe," he said.

What To Read Next
Fundraising is underway to move the giant ball of twine from the Highland, Wisconsin, home of creator James Frank Kotera, who died last month at age 75, 44 years after starting the big ball.