Cedar Rapids says don’t count on flood buyout
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — City leaders in Cedar Rapids are telling residents affected by last month’s historic flooding not to count on a government buyout.
They say it could be a year or more before the city knows how much federal money will be available.
During a meeting on Monday, City Manager Jim Prosser reemphasized that other Iowa cities will be competing for limited federal dollars. He says Cedar Rapids is likely to make a large buyout proposal, which means it’s going to be difficult to fund it.
City Councilman Justin Shields suggested it’s time to spell out the responsibilities of the city and homeowners. He says some homeowners may need to rely on federal grants and low-interest loans, not buyouts.
Cedar Rapids officials have estimated that half of the 4,000 homes damaged in the flood that covered 1,300 city blocks may have to be demolished.