Earth day events planned
The Austin Coalition for Environmental Sustainability will host a number of events through the end of April to celebrate Earth Week:
• Switch and Save: Until April 30, Austin Utilities residential customers can check the April Austin Utilities Newsletter for a coupon for a free compact fluorescent light bulb, then walk, bike, carpool or ride the bus to Austin Utilities for their free bulb. The utility also will collect spent CFLs for recycling.
• Alaska’s Global Climate Change: 7 p.m. April 21 at Jay C. Hormel Nature Center. The Audubon Society will present on the changes occurring in Alaska as a result of climate change.
• Earth Day, ACES Spring Gala Luncheon: 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. April 22 at Jay C. Hormel Nature Center. A silent auction at 11:30 a.m., luncheon at noon. AHS Going Green Club will sell pansies, and there will be an appearance by Earthman, performance by Down Home. Tickets are $10; call Dorothy Owens at 437-2251.
• Green Living Workshop: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. April 22 at Austin Utilities, Municipal Building, room 306. A panel of experts will discuss solar power, energy savings opportunities at home and carbon footprints. The cost is $10, and participants receive an energy savings kit. Call 433-0971 or 433-0928 to register.
• Clean Cars Forum: 7 p.m. April 23 at Jay C. Hormel Nature Center. Sponsored by the Minnesota Environmental Partnership and Audubon Society, this event will provide information about the Clean Car Act from former Sen. Dean Johnson.
• City of Austin Spring Clean Up Day: 6 a.m. to noon April 25. Participants should meet at the Municipal Pool parking lot on North Main Street for clean up and recycling. Call the Austin Department of Parks, Recreation and Forestry at 433-1881 to volunteer.