BYRON — The Byron School Board is soliciting applications from the public to replace two board members who recently resigned.
The board met Sept. 7 to discuss the possibility of simply appointing people to the open seats. However, they weren't able to find anyone to appoint, so they decided to open the process to the community.
According to Superintendent Mike Neubeck, the board approved an application with seven questions people interested in the position will need to answer.
"I know our board asked several people, leaders in our community who either were board members in the past or who had been on several key committees in our district and so forth who we thought would have knowledge of our school district. And at this time, no one stepped forward," he said.
"It's a hard time to be a board member, and there's a lot of things going on," he added. "I'm hoping there are very qualified people who will apply."
The two positions opened when former board members Emmy Harvey and Mike Denney independently resigned from the board on the same day. Both were elected in November, and their terms were set to last through November 2024. The Byron School Board is a seven-member governing body.
The application window, according to Neubeck, will be open for three weeks. The School Board will then nominate and vote on the applicants. He said a link to apply for one of the two open positions will be available on the district's website, and that they will advertise it through social media.
The questions include:
- What motivates you to want to become a member of the Byron School Board?
- What experiences do you have in school committees, leadership groups, or governance boards that would help you to be an effective school board member?
- What do you see as the board’s roles and responsibilities?
- What is your vision for education in Byron Public Schools?
- What are the current challenges facing Byron Public Schools and how would you propose to face those challenges?
- Being a school board member can be challenging in regards to time and feeling pressure from community members. How will you balance your time and personal views to be an effective board member?
- What do you hope to accomplish during your interim term on the board?