A Southeast Rochester resident was evaluated for smoke inhalation following a grease fire that caused about $50,000 worth of damage.

Members of the Rochester Fire Department were called around 12:50 a.m. Thursday to the Andover Apartments, 2040 8 1⁄2 St. SE B, for a report of a stove fire. The fire was put out by someone in the apartment using a fire extinguisher before fire crews arrived, but there was "heavy smoke" in the apartment. Some materials on top of the cupboard were still smoldering and firefighters used a pump can extinguisher to put it out.

Crews found significant fire damage to the stove and surrounding area. Damage to the apartment is estimated at $50,000.

One resident was assessed for smoke inhalation but was not taken to the hospital by ambulance.

"This fire was caused by hot grease on the stove," the fire department wrote in a news release. "Smoke alarms alerted the residents of the fire and the quick reactions of the resident using an extinguisher instead of water to put out the grease fire contained the fire and prevented it from spreading throughout the apartment. It is important to have working smoke alarms throughout a residence along with a fire extinguisher in the kitchen."

Newsletter signup for email alerts