1993 – 25 years ago
• Rochester Joe’s Liquor-North Star Bar captured the Class B Park and Recreation state touch football championship this past week. Rod Morlock was the team’s quarterback.
• This is the first time in 10 years that the Rochester Lourdes girls won the Section One, Class A cross country title.
1968 – 50 years ago
• “Barbarella,” starring Jane Fonda, will open at Lawler Theater. Elvis Presley, in “Live a Little, Love a Little,” will end tonight.
• Joe Garagiola, well known NBC sportscaster, is in Rochester this week and dropped in on the Rochester Quarterbacks Club. He gave a talk about the 1968 World Series and pro football.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Traditional observance of High School Day in the churches is set when students will be featured in religious and social programs of their various denominations.
• A Girl Scout project is currently underway where the girls volunteer five hours a week as aides at Saint Marys Hospital.
• More than 60 outstanding bulls and boars will be on sale at Lewiston’s annual purebred sire sale this weekend. Dr. W. E. Peterson, one of the nation’s outstanding dairy authorities, will also speak.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Captain Fred LeRoy Smith, M.D., commanding officer of the medical corps of the third battalion, has been ordered to take charge of medical work and the Red Cross hospital in the Moose Lake area. Close oversight is needed to minimize the danger of an epidemic as an aftermath of the great fire.
• Minnesota farmers tilled approximately 13,000,000 acres during this season. The record-setting acreage totals and excellent yields in the state assure the greatest production year in the history of the state.