1992 – 25 years ago
• Groundbreaking was held for an $11.625 million expansion-renovation of Austin High School. Included in the plans are a new athletic area, the updating of safety and electrical systems and the remodeling of the entire school. The project is expected to be completed by January 1995.
• Organizers of the Lourdes All-school reunion are expecting 1,000 to 1,500 to be on hand for the celebration of 50 years of existence. A Saturday Mass and a dinner and dance at the Mayo Civic Auditorium is planned.
1967 – 50 years ago
• More than 1,000 people, including 230 law enforcement officers from throughout southeastern Minnesota, paid tribute to their fallen comrade during funeral services for Floyd Haley at the St. Francis Catholic Church. Officer Floyd Haley was the first Rochester policeman slain in the line of duty and was laid to rest in Calvary Cemetery.
• A fund for the Floyd Haley Family has been established and now stands at $11,441. Officer Haley, a Rochester police officer, was shot and killed when he interrupted an attempted burglary.
1942 – 75 years ago
• Due to war rationing the list of persons eligible to buy bicycles have been further trimmed. Eligible occupations include physicians, surgeons, midwives, veterinarians, nurses, druggists, embalmers, laboratory workers, Red Cross or social workers. Bicycle production will be halted at the end of this month.
• Traffic fines totaling $300 were imposed in municipal court on eight offenders while a ninth person was given a 90 days in the county jail for stealing from cars.
1917 – 100 years ago
• An old landmark, and for half a century the only manufacturing industry in St. Charles, has passed out of existence. The old wagon factory, a once flourishing industry, has been sold and the building dismantled. The first wagon was manufactured in 1857. The business at one point employed 20 persons.
• Mothers of the Edison school district meeting will be held and the book, "How to Talk to Your Boy" will be reviewed by Mrs. T. P. Hall.
From news services
Ten years ago: President George W. Bush welcomed French President Nicolas Sarkozy to his family's estate in Kennebunkport, Maine. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney won an easy and expected victory in a high-profile Iowa Republican Party Straw Poll. Funerals were held in Newark, N.J., for three college or college-bound students shot to death in a schoolyard. Big Ben's bongs fell silent as workers began a month of maintenance work on the iconic London clock and its world-famous bell.
Five years ago: Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney announced his choice of Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin to be his running mate. Usain Bolt capped his perfect London Olympics by leading Jamaica to victory in a world-record 36.84 seconds in the 4x100 meters. Allyson Felix won her third gold medal as the Americans rolled to an easy victory in the women's 4x400 relay. The heavily favored U.S. women's basketball team won a fifth straight gold medal with an 86-50 victory over France.
One year ago: The Obama administration said it had decided marijuana would remain on the list of most dangerous drugs, rebuffing growing support across the country for broad legalization, but said it would allow more research into its medical uses. Michael Phelps won his fourth gold medal of the Rio Olympics and 22nd overall with a victory in the 200-meter individual medley. Simone Manuel became the first African-American woman to win a gold medal in swimming with her win in the 100-meter freestyle, upsetting world-record holder Cate Campbell and tying with Penny Oleksiak of Canada. Simone Biles of the U.S. soared to the all-around title in women's gymnastics.
Today's birthdays: Actress Arlene Dahl is 92. Songwriter-producer Kenny Gamble is 74. Rock musician Jim Kale (Guess Who) is 74. Magazine columnist Marilyn Vos Savant is 71. Country singer John Conlee is 71. Singer Eric Carmen is 68. Computer scientist and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is 67. Wrestler-actor Hulk Hogan is 64. Singer Joe Jackson is 63. Playwright David Henry Hwang is 60. Actor Miguel A. Nunez Jr. is 58. Actress Viola Davis is 52. Actor Duane Martin is 52. Actor-host Joe Rogan is 50. Rhythm-and-blues musician Chris Dave is 49. Actress Anna Gunn is 49. Actress Ashley Jensen is 49. Actress Sophie Okonedo is 49. Rock guitarist Charlie Sexton is 49. Hip-hop artist Ali Shaheed Muhammad is 47. Actor Nigel Harman is 44. Actor Will Friedle is 41. Actor Rob Kerkovich is 38. Actress Merritt Wever is 37. Actor Chris Hemsworth is 34. Rock musician Heath Fogg (Alabama Shakes) is 33. Singer J-Boog is 32. Rapper Asher Roth is 32. Actress Alyson Stoner is 24.