1994 – 25 years ago
• Sarah Lieber, a senior at John Marshall High School, has been named one of 500 finalists in the 1994 Presidential Scholars Program. She is the only finalist from Southeast Minnesota.
• More than 500 Jaycees from throughout the state are expected at the 1994 annual convention of the Minnesota Jaycees being held at the Holiday Inn Downtown and Mayo Civic Center. The Minnesota Jaycees is the second largest Jaycee state organization in the United States.
1969 – 50 years ago
• The Karate School of Self Defense is now open at 515 First Ave. SW. Classes will enable men and women to stop any attacker.
1944 – 75 years ago
• On the salvage front, in St. Charles more than 20 tons of waste paper was collected. The paper was collected by pupils of rural schools in the area.
• David Bach and Oscar Hargesheimer became members of the Rochester Rotary club at the organization’s regular meeting held in the sun room of the Kahler Hotel.
1919 – 100 years ago
• The county school superintendent has indicated that attendance has been unusually poor. A number of the schools have been closed from two to six weeks because of the flu or other epidemics. Also since April, with the new law allowing children to remain home to help with farm work, many children are not completing their seventh- and eighth-grade work.
• The greatest Fourth of July celebration ever put on in Southern Minnesota will be staged in Rochester this year. This spectacle will be to honor all of the returned soldiers from the Great War.
From news services
Ten years ago
President Barack Obama urged Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu during a White House meeting to stop Jewish settlements and grasp a “historic opportunity” to make peace with the Palestinians. Myanmar’s pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi went on trial, charged with violating conditions of her years-long detention by sheltering an American man, John Yettaw, who swam to her lakeside home. (Suu Kyi, who would become the country’s leader, was convicted and sentenced to three years of hard labor; the sentence was commuted to 18 months of house arrest. Yettaw was sentenced to seven years in prison but released on humanitarian grounds.) Spacewalking astronauts finished repairs to the Hubble Space Telescope.
Five years ago
AT&T Inc. agreed to buy satellite TV provider DirecTV for $48.5 billion, or $95 per share. (The deal was completed in 2015.) Singer Jerry Vale, 83, died in Palm Desert, Calif. Cinematographer Gordon Willis (“The Godfather,” ‘’Annie Hall” and “All the President’s Men”) died on Cape Cod, Mass., at age 82.
One year ago
A 17-year-old armed with a shotgun and a pistol opened fire at a Houston-area high school, killing eight students and two teachers. (Dimitrios Pagourtzis is charged in state court with capital murder; his attorney says he is facing 11 federal charges.) A 39-year-old airliner crashed and burned in a field just after taking off from Havana, Cuba, killing 112 people. President Donald Trump said he would nominate acting Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie to permanently lead the department. (Wilkie was confirmed by the Senate in July.) Hasbro announced that the United States Patent and Trademark Office had issued a trademark for the scent of Play-doh.
Actor Bill Macy is 97. Actress Priscilla Pointer is 95. Hall of Fame sportscaster Jack Whitaker is 95. Actor Robert Morse is 88. Actor Dwayne Hickman is 85. Baseball Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson is 82. Actress Candice Azzara is 78. Bluegrass singer-musician Rodney Dillard (The Dillards) is 77. Baseball Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson is 73. Sen. Tom Udall, D-N.M., is 71. Country singer Joe Bonsall (The Oak Ridge Boys) is 71. Rock musician Rick Wakeman (Yes) is 70. Rock singer Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo) is 69. Actor James Stephens is 68. Country singer George Strait is 67. Actor Chow Yun-Fat is 64. International Tennis Hall of Famer Yannick Noah is 59. Rock singer-musician Page Hamilton is 59. Contemporary Christian musician Barry Graul (MercyMe) is 58. Contemporary Christian singer Michael Tait is 53. Singer-actress Martika is 50. Comedian-writer Tina Fey is 49. Rock singer Jack Johnson is 44. Country singer David Nail is 40. Rhythm-and-blues singer Darryl Allen (Mista) is 39. Actor Matt Long is 39. Actor Allen Leech is 38. Christian-rock musician Kevin Huguley (Rush of Fools) is 37. Christian singer Francesca Battistelli is 34. Actor Spencer Breslin is 27. Actress Violett Beane is 23. Actress Hala Finley is 10.