1994 – 25 years ago
• Rochester Renegades owner Tom McMillan has revealed that he has signed an agreement to sell the Continental Basketball Association team to Harrisburg, Pa., businessman Van Farber. The team has been in Rochester for two years and they reportedly lost some $500,000. This is the second CBA team to leave Rochester. The Flyers, after playing in the city for two years, were sold and moved to Omaha in 1989.
1969 – 50 years ago
• Mayo High School will graduate its first class of students that completed all three years of high school in the same building. The school opened in the fall of 1966.
• Joyce Gerken of rural Zumbro Falls has been crowned as the new Wabasha County Dairy Princess. Miss Gerken is currently a student at St. Cloud State.
1944 – 75 years ago
• One year ago the Rochester chapter of the Junior Chamber of Commerce started its “Smokes for the Fighting Yanks” project. To date, 520,000 cigarettes have been sent by the Jaycees to the boys overseas.
• The Chatfield Fish and Game club received from the state hatchery 200 pheasant eggs for distribution among persons interested in pheasant propagation.
1919 – 100 years ago
• This Sunday the Hotel Zumbro will have Sunday dinners for $1.25 a plate. The management of the hotel assures its patrons that the dinner provided will be worthy of that price.
• The cost of having dressy feet has gone up. Shoe shines hit a new mark today as the price increased from 10 to 15 cents. “Gus,” the proprietor of the place at Broadway and Center Street Southwest, said, “Well, the price of materials has gone up, competent help costs more and you can’t expect us to do this work for the fun of it.”
From news services
Ten years ago
President Barack Obama fired the top U.S. general in Afghanistan, replacing Gen. David McKiernan with Lt. Gen. Stanley McChrystal. Five U.S. troops were shot and killed at a mental health clinic on a Baghdad base; the shooter, Sgt. John Russell, was later sentenced to life in prison without parole. American journalist Roxana Saberi, imprisoned on espionage charges in Iran for four months, was freed. President Barack Obama met at the White House with representatives of the health care industry who promised to cut $2 trillion in costs over 10 years. Pope Benedict XVI arrived in Israel on a visit to the Holy Land. The space shuttle Atlantis blasted off on a mission to repair the Hubble Space Telescope.
Five years ago
Pro-Russian insurgents in eastern Ukraine said voters overwhelmingly favored sovereignty in balloting that the Ukraine central government and the West denounced as an illegal sham. Musa Dayib, a 15-month-old toddler, miraculously survived an 11-story fall from a Minneapolis high-rise apartment balcony. Jeb Stuart Magruder, 79, a Watergate conspirator-turned minister, died in Danbury, Connecticut.
One year ago
President Donald Trump unveiled his long-promised plan to bring down drug prices; the plan mostly spared the pharmaceutical industry and didn’t include his campaign pledge to use the Medicare program’s buying power to directly negotiate lower prices for seniors. R&B singer R. Kelly went ahead with a concert in Greensboro, North Carolina, despite calls for a boycott stemming from longstanding allegations of sexual misconduct.
Comedian Mort Sahl is 92. Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan is 86. Jazz keyboardist Carla Bley is 83. Rock singer Eric Burdon (The Animals; War) is 78. Actress Pam Ferris is 71. Former White House chief of staff John F. Kelly is 69. Actress Shohreh Aghdashloo (SHOH’-reh ahg-DAHSH’-loo) is 67. Actress Frances Fisher is 67. Sports columnist Mike Lupica is 67. Actor Boyd Gaines is 66. Country musician Mark Herndon (formerly with Alabama) is 64. Actress Martha Quinn is 60. Country singer-musician Tim Raybon (The Raybon Brothers) is 56. Actor Tim Blake Nelson is 55. Actor Jeffrey Donovan is 51. Country musician Keith West (Heartland) is 51. Actor Nicky Katt is 49. Actor Coby Bell is 44. Cellist Perttu Kivilaakso (PER’-tuh KEE’-wee-lahk-soh) is 41. Actor Austin O’Brien is 38. Actor-singer Jonathan Jackson is 37. Rapper Ace Hood is 31. Latin singer Prince Royce is 30. Actress Annabelle Attanasio (TV: “Bull”) is 26. Musician Howard Lawrence (Disclosure) is 25.