1994 – 25 years ago
• Softball legend Eddie Feigner will lead his four-man “King and His Court” team against the North Star All-Stars in a game at Mayo Field.
• The Mayo girls golf team finished fourth in the Minnesota High School League’s state golf tournament.
1969 – 50 years ago
• About 200 foundry workers and machinists at Gould Engine Parts plant in Lake City went on strike today over wage negotiations.
• First District Rep. Albert Quie will speak in West Park during a worship service at the Dodge Center and Fountain centennial celebration this weekend. In addition to the programs scheduled, there will be a beard, bonnet and costume judging contest at the band shell in Dodge Center.
1944 – 75 years ago
• Rochester Victory volunteers, numbering 400, began work today for the city’s fifth war loan drive. The goal is $1,057,000.
• Pfc. Robert Rommel, pigeonnaire in the Army Signal Corps, has reached England. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Rommel of Rochester.
• In answer to the urgent call for female workers in various U.S. departments in Washington, D.C., several local young women have secured positions and have left for the capitol.
1919 – 100 years ago
• It was announced that Rochester will be the host city for the 1922 firemen’s convention. Chief William Cudmore and city officials are quite pleased.
• If Pine Island has a fire in the next few days it will have to be fought by the women in town. All members of the Pine Island Volunteer Fire Department, including Chief Frank Shay, are in Red Wing for a firemen’s convention.