Brothers Joseph and Emil Angelici, along with their brother-in-law Joseph Settimi, came to Rochester from Italy, by way of Kenosha, Wis., in 1930. The trio opened Modern Broadway Market at 12 S. Broadway. In 1934, they moved the market to a new building at 601 N. Broadway.
After World War II, Joseph Settimi left the Angelic brothers to open Home Food Shop on Second Street Southwest, across from the hospital.
At one time in the past, cities like Rochester had pockets of retail businesses that served the families, usually within walking distance, that surrounded them. As travel became less of an issue, some “corner stores” began to struggle. When Joseph Angelici saw that happening to other small markets, his idea was to become bigger.
During the winter of 1953, an addition was built to the Modern Broadway Market and in April 1954, the store was rebranded as Stop-N-Shop Super Market.