Minneapolis teenager pleads guilty in Grand Meadow chase

By Tim Ruzek

The Post-Bulletin

A Minneapolis teenager who led authorities last month on a nearly 10-mile chase in the Grand Meadow area has pleaded guilty to all criminal charges that resulted after his arrest.

The 17-year-old boy pleaded guilty Jan. 29 — a day after the chase — at his initial hearing in Mower Juvenile Court to possession of stolen property, motor-vehicle theft, fifth-degree drug crime, fleeing police in a motor vehicle and minor in possession of a firearm, all felony counts, records show.

The boy also entered a guilty plea to carrying a pistol without a permit, which is a gross misdemeanor.


Judge Donald E. Rysavy ordered the boy’s juvenile sentencing to be transferred to Hennepin County, where the boy lives, documents show.

The judge ordered that the boy be returned to a juvenile-detention center in Rochester, because Pope County had asked that he be held. The boy had been in possession of items taken days earlier during a residential burglary in Pope County, according to records.

According to law-enforcement reports, a state trooper tried to stop the teenager’s car at about 12:05 a.m. Jan. 28 after noticing his vehicle speeding. The boy started pulling to the side, but then accelerated back into the eastbound lane of Interstate 90 near Dexter, traveling at speeds of 110 mph.

The boy exited at Dexter and went east on Minnesota Highway 16 to Grand Meadow at speeds of 115 mph.

Dispatch advised the trooper that the boy’s vehicle was stolen from a burglary and might contain about 30 guns.

A Mower County sheriff’s deputy set up stop sticks on the west end of Grand Meadow that caused the tires on the suspect’s car to deflate by the time it reached the city’s east side. Authorities then arrested the teenager at gunpoint.

Inside the car, authorities found a loaded, .22 caliber handgun in a backpack on the floor of the front-passenger seat, numerous rounds of ammunition, and about 146 grams of marijuana, the report stated. The gun had been stolen in the Pope County burglary.

The boy also had more than $1,000 in cash in a wallet that contained another man’s credit cards and other documents.

What To Read Next
Fundraising is underway to move the giant ball of twine from the Highland, Wisconsin, home of creator James Frank Kotera, who died last month at age 75, 44 years after starting the big ball.